• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Frenchman applying for Security Clearance in UK - is this possible?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frenchman applying for Security Clearance in UK - is this possible?

Hi All,

Can anyone clarify the following:

If you're nationality is French (French passport holder) and you have been living in the UK for over 8 years continously - are you eligible to apply for (SC) Security Clearance in the UK?

If so - How is the Security Clearance applied for?

Advice / referrals appreciated.

Oddly enough, in days of yore, just having had a fling with a french tart was enough to ruin your chances.

But nowadays, I'd say go for it.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by phil_c View Post
      If you're nationality is French (French passport holder) and you have been living in the UK for over 8 years continously - are you eligible to apply for (SC) Security Clearance in the UK?
      Anyone can apply. Depending on the gig, it could well be granted too.

Originally posted by phil_c View Post
      How is the Security Clearance applied for?
      By applying for a gig that needs it, being offered it, and the employer getting you to fill in the forms and they send them off.

YOU cannot apply for it. Only an employer can.

Do a search for "security clearance" on here and see this question being asked in more detail many, many times.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Hell yes. Osama Bin Laden is working on the Trident upgrade. It would have been a breech of his human rights if they had refused him.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

"YOU cannot apply for it. Only an employer can." - i believe this is the case, so effectively, yes, you can 'apply' for it by proxy, if you like, by applying for a job which requires it.

Comment

It's a complicated answer, if you go into the detail, but basically if a role needs clearance, it's up to the "employer"* to find someone who is cleared to the right level, or to sponsor someone to be cleared. Hence, it's not up to you, so you can't apply for clearance.

As for the OP, no problems at all, basically, the residence requirement for SC roles is five years.

* I'm a freelance. I don't have employers...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              It's a complicated answer, if you go into the detail, but basically if a role needs clearance, it's up to the "employer"* to find someone who is cleared to the right level, or to sponsor someone to be cleared. Hence, it's not up to you, so you can't apply for clearance.

As for the OP, no problems at all, basically, the residence requirement for SC roles is five years.

* I'm a freelance. I don't have employers...
              I have it from the DVA that the rule actualy allows up to 12 months abroad in the last 5.
              Which disallows TLG from getting clearance even though I have spent the last 12 years working on NATO military aircraft and have actuay held a temporary clearance where DV wouldnt get you into the building.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
              X