• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ooops, the pound devalues again...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ooops, the pound devalues again...

www.xe.com...

1.00 EUR = 0.921499 GBP

soon one to one ?

Milan.

And now it's 0.91984.

Popcorn anybody?
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

i've been watching the train wreck that is Sterling for some time now, against the A$. A 12 month chart looks like a very long hill with no end in site.. currently down to 1.8 (from av 2.3) .. the lowest ever.

Are you guys doing this on purpose ?
      I suspect you are, although for the life of me I can't understand why (apart from encouraging foreign investment) as it surely just makes your OS Debts bigger?

anybody?

Comment

Yes it's true. Our government senses their doom. The standard operating procedure for a labour government requires them to leave the economy in financial ruin before they are voted out of office.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by craig_m67 View Post
          i've been watching the train wreck that is Sterling for some time now, against the A$. A 12 month chart looks like a very long hill with no end in site.. currently down to 1.8 (from av 2.3) .. the lowest ever.

Are you guys doing this on purpose ?
          I suspect you are, although for the life of me I can't understand why (apart from encouraging foreign investment) as it surely just makes your OS Debts bigger?

anybody?
          We're trying to export our way out of trouble.
          Problem is no one told the gubberment that there is no manufacturing any more.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            We're trying to export our way out of trouble.
            Problem is no one told the gubberment that there is no manufacturing any more.
            If there were a solid manufacturing base then exports would indeed become more competitive with a weaker pound. With financial services however a goodly chunk of it is percentage based in one way or another, so it won't make diddly squat of a difference.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              If there were a solid manufacturing base then exports would indeed become more competitive with a weaker pound.
              "Guns, get ya luverly weapons here. I've got fighterjets, tanks, ord-argh-nance. Fancy a warship guvnor?"

Comment

Look on the bright side; if the pound goes down far enough it would make local supply of labour more cost effective than importing Bob Shawadiwadi.

Yeah, I know, I know, I know.....

Before we get to that point the damage would be so great that the would be no demand for anything whatsoever.

But that is not how nuLieBore thinks.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
                  "Guns, get ya luverly weapons here. I've got fighterjets, tanks, ord-argh-nance. Fancy a warship guvnor?"
                  I don't think so.

Eg. Eurofighter is priced in Euros. Most tanks and guns are made abroad.

Comment

The exchange rate doesn't matter. We'll just print more money. Simples.

It's clearly so easy, any damn fool could run the economy.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X