• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need advice on overseas tax issues.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on overseas tax issues.

Hi

I have been just offered a pretty cool job in West Africa but it does open me to all kinds of tax issues that I hadn't really thought about before. so before I go see an accountant I figured it would be best to speak with a real professional first...

OK...I live in Scotland and the Job will have a 4 week on/off rotation from Africa, The company is actually Spanish but employ's me from its office in Equatorial Guinea (I have researched the Company and they are doing well with a good solid contract base) It is a dollar contract paid into an account of my choice.

My Wife and 5 year old son live in our mortgaged house in Scotland etc...

My questions are :- If I qualify on the 183 days out of country will I be excempt from tax or will I need to become a non resident. If need to be a non resident does this happen automatically or do I need to apply for this?

and because my permenant address and family are in the UK will this stop the excemption also?

appreceate this is a lot to ask for an answer but any commensense feedback would be truly helpful.

Many Thanks
    Matsky

zzzzzzzzz

Comment

I'd be more concerned with living in a 3rd World country with high crime and unbearable weather.

Yes, leaving your family in Scotland is crazy.

Comment

Liberia?

I looked at that, then decided the advice on the FCO website probaly shouldn't be ignored...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by matsky65 View Post
          Hi

I have been just offered a pretty cool job in West Africa but it does open me to all kinds of tax issues that I hadn't really thought about before. so before I go see an accountant I figured it would be best to speak with a real professional first...

OK...I live in Scotland and the Job will have a 4 week on/off rotation from Africa, The company is actually Spanish but employ's me from its office in Equatorial Guinea (I have researched the Company and they are doing well with a good solid contract base) It is a dollar contract paid into an account of my choice.

My Wife and 5 year old son live in our mortgaged house in Scotland etc...

My questions are :- If I qualify on the 183 days out of country will I be excempt from tax or will I need to become a non resident.
          No, because as somone who was resident in the UK the year before, to become non resident you need to be out of the country for 274 days.

If need to be a non resident does this happen automatically or do I need to apply for this?
          There is a form that you can fill in but you can just assume none residency, and act accordingly

and because my permenant address and family are in the UK will this stop the excemption also?
          No, this will not make a diference to tax residency

tim

Comment

Working...
          X