• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Underfloor heating

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underfloor heating

Thinking of having underfloor heating put in under tiles, but not sure whether to go for the electric or water based systems. Has anyone here got experience of one or other, or aware of any advantages/disadvantages of either?

My parents had one in the bathroom floor in their 2nd last house. It was toasty warm in the mornings (it was a converted church so big and drafty). I think it was electric.

They also had one in the concrete base, but with a suspended floor above it. That one took about a month to warm up, but kept the chill off in the mornings when they hadn't built the fire through the winter.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The house we lived in when I was in Junior School had underfloor heating.

For the four years we lived there I was cold all the time. It is the most enduring memory I have of that house: being cold.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

We had underfloor heating fitted to a house extension (completed 2007).
        Heating is water based in concrete screed. Have some of the floor tiled (utility and bathroom) part wooden floor (new living room). It is excellent, but don't expect instant heating.

Its best left 'on' all the time but controlled through a thermostat which can be just turned down in summer. This will stop the concrete pad getting cold.

It is worth fitting different 'circuits' in each area (we have three thermostats for each area listed above).

We have had a problem with the pump, but not the pipes under the floor.

I have no experience of electric under floor heating but would guess that it will break easier which could mean pulling up the floor more often. Also, over time I suspect the electric would have higher running costs.
        Beer
        is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I have water based underfloor heating. The water is heated by gas. Our utility bills are much lower than when we had electric heating.

I can only assume that RichardCranium's heating was never, in fact, switched on. Underfloor heating is much better at keeping you warm than radiators etc.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I can only assume that RichardCranium's heating was never, in fact, switched on.
            Money was tight - I was the youngest of five.

I never had a cot. As a baby I slept in the bottom drawer of the bedside table.

My Mum sewed my mittens into my sleeves. I thought it was because she loved me. She said "You know what a dozy git you are and I can't afford to replace them." They were her mittens.

I once got an empty box for Christmas. My Dad said it was an Action Man deserter.

We had a dog. We fed it on the leftovers scraped off our plates. I didn't know actual dog food existed until I was a teenager.

There was a white elephant stall at a church event with a boxed 2nd hand Hornby train set going dirt cheap. It was tatty but my eyes lit up when I saw it but got the usual "Don't get ideas". At Xmas I got that train set (wrapped in newspaper) as my prezzy. I loved that train set. I used to push the wagons round and round the track. My parents must have been ever so glad I never asked why there was no engine in the box. I wasn't stupid.

I can only assume that RichardCranium's heating was never, in fact, switched on.
            Now you come to mention it... I don't remember washing in hot water either and I used to have my bath after Mum had hers - in the same water.

Happy days, eh? No, not really.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I have water based underfloor heating. The water is heated by gas. Our utility bills are much lower than when we had electric heating.

I can only assume that RichardCranium's heating was never, in fact, switched on. Underfloor heating is much better at keeping you warm than radiators etc.
              WHS, but if you get a sudden cold snap in summer it can take a day or more to heat up.

But that feeling you get from warm floors when you get out of bed in winter is simply wonderful.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                Money was tight - I was the youngest of five.

I never had a cot. As a baby I slept in the bottom drawer of the bedside table.

My Mum sewed my mittens into my sleeves. I thought it was because she loved me. She said "You know what a dozy git you are and I can't afford to replace them." They were her mittens.

I once got an empty box for Christmas. My Dad said it was an Action Man deserter.

We had a dog. We fed it on the leftovers scraped off our plates. I didn't know actual dog food existed until I was a teenager.

There was a white elephant stall at a church event with a boxed 2nd hand Hornby train set going dirt cheap. It was tatty but my eyes lit up when I saw it but got the usual "Don't get ideas". At Xmas I got that train set (wrapped in newspaper) as my prezzy. I loved that train set. I used to push the wagons round and round the track. My parents must have been ever so glad I never asked why there was no engine in the box. I wasn't stupid.

Now you come to mention it... I don't remember washing in hot water either and I used to have my bath after Mum had hers - in the same water.

Happy days, eh? No, not really.

Yooof of today! Don't know they're born.
                When I were a nipper, we used the frozen icicles on the inside of the winder for drinking water.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

I have water based underfloor heating. The water is heated by gas. Our utility bills are much lower than when we had electric heating. <snip>
                  I must admit I'm getting tempted by the electric underfloor heating because it is cheaper/easier to install and apparently heats up a lot quicker. I didn't think this would be much more expensive to run than the water based system, but really that depends on gas prices against electricity prices.

From your comment I presume you mean non-underfloor electric heating!

Comment

We've put a water system in our extension - had to have the floors ripped up and relevelled anyway.

Went for a triple tube system (Kee Heating I think) + room zones.

Not instant heat so you need to time it to come on before you need it, but your boiler will only need to operate at 60 degs max
                    on a traditional CH system it would usually go to 72-80 degs, so certainly will be cheaper.

Very happy with it but in fact hardly ever use it out of winter because the extension is packed full of celotex anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X