• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Counting to ten...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Counting to ten...

I've tried, but it's not calming me down. Couple of guys from the gas network knocked on the door this morning to advise they are replacing the gas pipes to each house in the street. "Good luck", I said as I've just had a new block driveway put in and the gas pipe runs underneath my house extension (i.e. my office, where I work from home every day).

No warning, no letters, and despite phone calls to their 'customer care line', I still can't speak to anyone to advise my rights (i.e. what they will repair/replace/fix) in order to access the pipe.

They've started on next door instead (similar situation as me, except he's disabled and they've told him he can't now get his car off the drive now they've dug a hole in the path).

I know this is Wilslow-esque and await the canned laughter, but I just needed to get this off my chest.

Anyone else had this done and what was the outcome? Hopefully this will be sorted before I go out there and insert his jackhammer where the sun don't shine!!!!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

I saw this being done to a neighbours driveway about a year or so ago, they lifted the block paving, not all of it of course and then put it back - think it looks fairly normal. It wasn't a new d/way and if I had one just laid i guess I'd not be too happy.

Comment

We were woken early one morning by roadworks. I wandered out in my dressing gown just after 7 a.m. to see what they were up to, they had just started cutting the tarmac along the road outside the drive.

They were laying a new pipe (I forget what sort) and would have the road up for 3 days or so.

They were kind enough to stop for a few minutes so I could get the car off the drive and park round the corner for the duration.

So that was nice.

Not as nice as a warning would be.

Regarding the OP: don't the utilities now say the pipe from your property to the edge of your land is YOUR problem, not theirs?
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

They recently did ours.
        They dig up the road outside to get to the junction. They then push a new pipe inside the old one to replace it.
        They then need access to your house to reconect you.
        That is how it worked on our street. Others experiences may differ.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Just waiting for the regional manager to knock on the door and explain just what the hell goes on.

Apparently, the pipe to the meter is theirs and is deemed 'essential' works, so we have no choice. As well as the block driveway, my office has been build on top of where the pipe enters the house to the meter.

Yes, they can place the new pipe up the old one, but only as far as where the pipe enters the house at which point they need access to connect new pipe to meter. This is my issue. Will update once the chap has explained it all. Assumming Mrs Flubster doesn't murder him during the conversation...

Comment

I've had several "threats" of replacing my gas meter. The first ever was when I'd just moved in as the first owner of newly completed house - I got a letter saying it was time to replace all the out of date meters in my road. They actually came and did it too!

In the current place they have been writing intermittenly for 3 years saying they are coming to change the meter and I will have to be in for a twelve hour period on a given (week) day - yeah right!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
              Just waiting for the regional manager to knock on the door and explain just what the hell goes on.

Apparently, the pipe to the meter is theirs and is deemed 'essential' works, so we have no choice. As well as the block driveway, my office has been build on top of where the pipe enters the house to the meter.

Yes, they can place the new pipe up the old one, but only as far as where the pipe enters the house at which point they need access to connect new pipe to meter. This is my issue. Will update once the chap has explained it all. Assumming Mrs Flubster doesn't murder him during the conversation...
              Tell them to **** off as you've gone all leccie and dont need their poxy gas!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

If it's like the water industry, they can get access...but need some bit of paper to do it...ie..can't just roll up and demand it.

btw....if it is like the water industry...they may not replace your block paving - there were cases of digging it up - and replacing with tarmac - check what they're going to do!!

Comment

The chap turned up at 6pm last night. Things properly explained. It seems there is a good chance the new plastic pipe which they shoot up the old pipe should go all the way to the meter, which needs them to just access the meter from inside the house. Worse case scenario, they pay for workmen of our choice to rectify any excavation work, including the driveway and office.

One final note....looked out this morning and wondered why we had a new stream running down the middle of the road. Yep, they've gone through the water main further up. Just as well I'm not like RC and actually get up and showered at a reasonable time of day!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X