• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nightmare time.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nightmare time.

The wonders of keyless ignition.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8281981.stm

Yet another bright idea.

Though it must be said that a lot of Septic cars use the can bus for stuff like that.

Handbrake included.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Or words to that effect.

Prius hybrid 2004-2009
    Took them five years to realise there is a problem.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      admit

Comment

deaths

Comment

"Before the crash, one of the passengers called 911 to report that the accelerator was stuck and the car had reached 120 miles per hour (193km per hour). "

I'm guessing as this was a Lexus and in the US that this car was an automatic, but isn't there a neutral setting on the gearbox? ( I drive a manual so I don't know!) Couldn't the driver have put it in the setting to force it into the lower range gears (1 or 2 instead of drive). OK the engine would have revved it's bollocks off but it wouldn't have been able to get to 120 mph meaning that any resulting crash was at a lot lower speed. I know if it was in a manual car I'd have taken it out of gear, braked and probably not died!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Took Americans five years to find a way to get killed by a floor mat.
            fixed that
            "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              "Before the crash, one of the passengers called 911 to report that the accelerator was stuck and the car had reached 120 miles per hour (193km per hour). "

I'm guessing as this was a Lexus and in the US that this car was an automatic, but isn't there a neutral setting on the gearbox? ( I drive a manual so I don't know!) Couldn't the driver have put it in the setting to force it into the lower range gears (1 or 2 instead of drive). OK the engine would have revved it's bollocks off but it wouldn't have been able to get to 120 mph meaning that any resulting crash was at a lot lower speed. I know if it was in a manual car I'd have taken it out of gear, braked and probably not died!
              how about pressing the brake pedal?
              "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Yup there is a neutral setting on the Lexus auto box and you can change to it whilst driving and with the accelerator pressed
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Yes you can knock it into neutral, but the last automatic I drove (a Ford Granada) wouldn't change down to lower gears until the speed of the car dropped to what each gear could handle.

If the accelerator is stuck when in neutral there wouldn't even be any engine damage with a recent car - don't they all have rev limiters now?
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                    how about pressing the brake pedal?
                    A few years ago a similar thing happened to me. A guy I worked with had a F150 lightning svt (150 MPH pickup truck -or 250 can't remember). Luckily it happened while it was still al low a low speed. Because it had an auto box the engine gets free reign to accelerate as fast as it can because the pedal is pressed down. Pressing the brakes did slow it, but unless you can free the mat you'll eventually lose your brakes - working on the basis that it has plenty of petrol and road! Also, his anti lock brakes made the thing bounce along as the brakes would bite and release, bite and release making it harder to control. He managed to pull the mat out before it hit the other cars in the car park, but the brakes were not stopping it - it was speeding up albeit slower than if the brakes were not applied.

The forces it was applying to the road actually made little ridges in the ultra smooth tarmac they had in the car park, which was pretty good as the wheels spun into action when the brakes released.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X