• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK manufacturing - why is it disappearing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK manufacturing - why is it disappearing?

The Germans still make stuff and they aren't cheap so it can't all be about far east sweatshops.

Assuming we'd like to make things again, what are the other reasons for the loss of manufacturing and what can we do about it?

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    The Germans still make stuff and they aren't cheap so it can't all be about far east sweatshops.

Assuming we'd like to make things again, what are the other reasons for the loss of manufacturing and what can we do about it?
    Trade unions. It's too late to do anything about it.

HTH
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

As a nation, we're lazy. It's easier to pay someone a subsistance level wage in the third world than get of our collective arses and make it ourselves.

All part of the "instant gratification" culture we've allowed ourselves to descend into.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Monetarism, high interest rates, strong pound, Thatcher's mission to move everyone into the service sector. Thatcher specifically used high interest rates to keep the pound strong.

Not too sure about the effect of the strong pound out of that lot as Germany seemed to manage with a strong DM.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Do our kids aspire to be engineers any more?

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            Monetarism, high interest rates, strong pound, Thatcher's mission to move everyone into the service sector. Thatcher specifically used high interest rates to keep the pound strong.

Not too sure about the effect of the strong pound out of that lot as Germany seemed to manage with a strong DM.
            Fnck-wit it's twenty years since Thatcher was in power and twelve years since the Tories were last in power, try playing a different tune.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
              Trade unions. It's too late to do anything about it.

HTH
              Possibly but Germany has a pretty strong union movement, in fact I believe the DGB (German equivalent of the TUC) is the largest in the world. Sometimes I think the unions here are damn stupid in some of things they do but in a lot of cases they do quite a bit of good work. I was a member of IGM for a few years and sat on a Betriebsrat (Works Council) and saw first hand either how idiotic or how supportive they were.

I think it all really started back in Thatchers day when everyone was encouraged to be their own boss or entrepenaur or just make as much money as possible. People left their jobs, started small buisiness or worked in white collar industries to make money and never went back to industry. Britain used to be world renowed for their products, and still is in some cases but only in those products which tend towards a certain market. Blame the media for making everyone want to be a star and not actually work anymore.
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Hmmm. Well if the good bergers of CUK can't explain it, it is obviously an insoluble problem.

I must admit that, if I were an impressionable teenager looking for role models, union leaders, drawing boards, and people with spanners and soldering irons wouldn't do it for me in the same way as champaigne-swilling bankers, buy-to-letters and Big Brother contestants.

Comment

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
                  Fnck-wit it's twenty years since Thatcher was in power and twelve years since the Tories were last in power, try playing a different tune.
                  "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

link
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Groups should not always be blamed, individuals have to take some responsibility.

I've looked for support in my business, engineering support requiring a good technical knowledge - it's a desert out there.

I'd agree also that there is a real chance the skills that belonged to the last generation are at risk of being lost forever as students take on ever more elaborate courses that contribute little to society and apprenticeships are lost forever.

I also believe that at the top it was believed quality of manufacturing could be duplicated around the world - not true IMO

We've taken two steps back
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X