• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I hate office politics!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate office politics!!!

Been at a contract 3 months now coming to an end in the next month, thought everything was going great. Adding value to the company all the time completely outdoing my role going above and beyond. Happy smiley faces inviting me out for drinks laughing and joking.

Walk past my managers desk and notice an email on the screen my name and the words "miss him"... intriguing.

Read the email ( naughty naughty ).....

Turns out I'm no good, I don't pull my weight, they have me for the time remaining on my contract so will work me like a dog but wont miss me and if they had it their way I wouldn't be there in the first place......

I know this shouldn't bother me being a contractor but it does... Why can't managers do what they are paid to do and manage!! If there is a problem with my work or I am not doing something I should be why aren't I being pulled up on it?

I am tempted to pull the 2 people on the e-mail into a meeting room and ask whats going on but then I have the issue of " how do you know we said that "

Grrrrr

Rant Over!! I'll get my coat and await abuse....

Just think of the money.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It's the only reason i'm still at the computer and not behind the wheel on the way home.

But from now on there will be no busting my testes. There will be mucho reading of CUK...

Comment

A pint says you get a renewal.

Relax, seriously.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Remember, you're a contractor, politics are for permies!

Who cares what they say? It's only jealousy, you are probably earning more than them anyways......

As long as you get paid (on time) what else matters?
          Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Thats what I've been saying to myself since I read the email.

I guess it must suck being a World Wide IT manager and getting paid almost half the rate of a Migration/AD Engineer huh...

Renewal???? I doubt that very much...

Comment

Pre empt them.
              Go find another gig then walk citing lack of work, particularly anything difficult, to do and piss poor management as reasons for walking.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

[QUOTE=stingman123;960846]Remember, you're a contractor, politics are for permies!QUOTE]

I wish, I'm knee deep in it in this gig

think of the money, think of the money, think of the money
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Gunman: You may just be onto something there.....

I could do with less than a 2 hour commute every day!!!

Comment

Originally posted by utrinqueparatus View Post
                    I know this shouldn't bother me being a contractor but it does... Why can't managers do what they are paid to do and manage!! If there is a problem with my work or I am not doing something I should be why aren't I being pulled up on it?
                    No, the point of contractors is that they shouldn't have to be managed. They should know what they are doing, and get on and do it. He's not your manager, he's your customer and you should be taking problems off him, not giving him new ones to sort out. He's there to manage his staff, not his consultants.

If you're not up to scratch, his job is to give you the boot in a contract-honouring way, not to spend his company's time fixing you.

Comment

Working...
                    X