• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone contracting in Holland?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone contracting in Holland?

I've been approached about a 12-monther in The Hague, paying £500 a day. There was a thread about paying local tax, but I can't seem to find it. If I'm Ltd Co in the UK, do I still have to pay tax locally? Also are there any IR35 implications in the UK? E.g. does IR35 apply to a contract in Holland? Sorry if that sounds a stupid Q but it is likely to make a huge dent in that £500 and hence won't be worth my while.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

You will have to do a bit of checking, but in most cases from what I'm aware you will probably have to work under a NL (no not new Labour) scheme where everything is paid as salary but with some exemptions etc.

Over to the other expaticos...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
      I've been approached about a 12-monther in The Hague, paying £500 a day. There was a thread about paying local tax, but I can't seem to find it. If I'm Ltd Co in the UK, do I still have to pay tax locally? Also are there any IR35 implications in the UK? E.g. does IR35 apply to a contract in Holland? Sorry if that sounds a stupid Q but it is likely to make a huge dent in that £500 and hence won't be worth my while.
      Why would you want to pay british taxes while you can qualify for the 30% rule (plus the chance of tax deducting all your flights back to UK)? Get a good accountant, they are expensive over there but they are worth it.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
        Not sure about Holland, but someone will confirm.

Most EU countries make you tax resident if you reside there for more than 6 months. That makes you liable to local tax. You will not have to worry about UK taxes if that is the case.
        Many EU countries have more complex and more punitive tax laws than the UK
        Some countries make working through your limited expensive. You need someone with experience here.
        Personaly, I have used a management company for the last few years as it makes things so much easier, though some practices of these companies could be regarded as dodgy.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

http://www.brainbox.com.au/members/b...3?opendocument

All you need is a thing called Google...

Comment

Joe - Yes I did think of Google, but I thought there would be peeps on here who would have personal experience. As I suspected, the Dutch seem to have no concept of small businesses (a bit like our own glorious NewLie in that respect) and I would have to cough up a huge wedge in Dutch tax. If that's the case I'll pass.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
              Why would you want to pay british taxes while you can qualify for the 30% rule (plus the chance of tax deducting all your flights back to UK)? Get a good accountant, they are expensive over there but they are worth it.
              Because the Dutch 30% scheme no longer allows deduction of travel expenses as well. I think you can have one or the other, but you certainly can't have both.

tim

Comment

I worked through http://www.thealbanygroup.com They were about 500 euros a month IIRC but a well run outfit. Very important to make sure that your contract has a UK address on it for the 30% ruling.

Comment

its all urdy gurdy over here

I'm currently working out here in Holland, Brabant region, and very nice it is too.
                  As for tax, you'll have to sign up with a local accountant ( pm me and I'll supply details of mine at AAME ) they're not that expensive to be honest, mine 227 euro's a month ( 162 quid ) And you'll have to get a soffI number from the local tax office ( 1 form to fill in with your passport, takes 10 minutes ) and then you qualiify for the 30% rule, which is ace as you don't then pay any in your home country ( ie UK )
                  Having only been here for six weeks, I can see the advantages of the rulling, in others words I'm financially gaining, against doing the same in uk.
                  If you do come over, I'm based out of Breda and happy to show you about and where the best titty bars are ( next to the church funilly enough !! )

J out
                  Trainee Techno Pikey

Comment

Originally posted by KpMrJ
                    [CUT]they're not that expensive to be honest, mine 227 euro's a month ( 162 quid )
                    Can't really claim they are cheap. Never spent that much in UK really.
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X