• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living without recruitment agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living without recruitment agencies

Are there any job boards/websites that have genuine vacancies and not filled with junk from recruitment agencies?

Originally posted by futurix View Post
    Are there any job boards/websites that have genuine vacancies and not filled with junk from recruitment agencies?
    Not that I know of, although a few of the guys on here will probably correct me on this.
    I think the best way is to do a few contracts then try to use direct contacts for work.
    I feel your pain - honestly
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I've seen some on Monster I think...but don't check there that often. You can always do a bit of pimping yourself, and send some CV's out - Linked In is good for snooping what people are doing and where...

PS - also feel your pain...negotiating with Lorien atm...cheeky cretins!

Comment

I know of one, but it's much more permie-orientated and the majority of positions are in the US.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

What's your experience with Lorien Muttley? I'm talking to them about a role at the mo

Comment

Lorien seem ok - they've tried a few things on, but when I've gone back to them, they have moved - albeit, the speed they backed down, indicates they were trying it on - notice periods, references etc...

The agents themselves seem ok (not too cheesy, or telling you how to suck eggs - as one I've encountered recently), but not as on the ball in terms of giving you info about what the client is after etc.. as some are.

Still talking with them, so will let you know how things go...what are your experiences so far?

Comment

Try these boards for direct work:

www.noagenciesplease.com
              www.freelancers.net

Comment

I don't really have much experience with them. They have been checking my availability for a couple of months about some BA roles. Now I'm available, they have submitted my details......no feedback......no response to my last email.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                  I feel your pain - honestly
                  Thanks! I still wonder why nobody did just that - website that filters out recruitment agencies. Surely that will be a gold mine?

Comment

Originally posted by futurix View Post
                    Think like a customer -

Winning business requires you work your t$ts off -

Here's how (and it work's - really)

step 1
                    Spend this weekend writing 2 pages of A4 about what it is you do and why your great at it. Be confident in everything you say - I've no idea what you do but by the time I've read I'll want to buy your services.

step 2
                    Get down to the print shop. Get them to run off your text + illustrations in a glossy A5 brochure. Get a 100 or so copies.

Step 3
                    Mail these to your past clients - target decision makers in your industry -

Sounds like a lot of work eh?

This is what I do and I'm turning over a hefty six figured sum and I need a holiday cause it's tiring me out.

Faffing around on the internet is not going to win business- linkedin perhaps but I've not had anything solid yet myself.

Gosh I should charge for this great advice...
                    Last edited by scooterscot; 3 October 2009, 10:12.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X