• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheap PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap PC

Just come across a brand new PC base unit for £166 delivered.

It is on the Dell site - http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...D11111&x=7&y=9

I know it comes up as £229, but if you change the warranty option to 90 days it brings the price right down.

The spec is as follows - not great I know, but for £166 !!!! Maybe Xmas present for the kids ???

Celeron 2.53GHz D 533FSB processor
    512mb DDR2 RAM
    80GB Hard Drive
    48x CDROM
    Windows XP

We are having technical difficulties

We're sorry but the Online Store is temporarily inaccessible. The Store is undergoing routine maintenance or may be experiencing unexpected technical problems. We apologize for the inconvenience and ask for your patience as we work to correct the situation. Check back with us shortly.

While the Store may be down, Dell is still open for business. Please call 1-800-WWW-DELL to place your order or to inquire about a product of interest.

Please use your browser's "back" button to return to the previous page
    Maybe they spotted a pricing error on that item.

Comment

although Dell do have some very good offers, but the delivery is SOOooooooooooo expensive as well.....
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      (whatever these are)

Comment

You can indeed pick up PC bargains these days. E-Buyer had a similar thing a week or two ago (with preinstalled Linux I believe).

Comment

I seem to recall a news item this morning of the 100$ PC being presented.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

What's the difference between XP Home and XP Professional?

Comment

uncle google says

Windows XP Home Edition

Contains basic support for security among multiple users.
              Built-in support for peer-to-peer networking, but only for up to five computers.
              The backup utlity is not installed by default, but is included on the CD.

Windows XP Professional Edition

Includes extended support for security between multiple users on the same machine.
              Better support for peer-to-peer networking, plus support for joining a "Windows NT domain."
              The backup utlity is installed by default.
              The Professional edition includes the following components not found in the Home edition:
              Administrative Tools (in the Start Menu and Control Panel)
              Automated System Recovery (ASR)
              Boot Configuration Manager
              DriverQuery
              Group Policy Refresh Utility
              Multi-lingual User Interface (MUI) add-on
              NTFS Encryption Utilitiy
              Offline Files and Folders
              OpenFiles
              Performance Log Manager
              Remote Desktop
              Scheduled Tasks Console
              Security Template Utility
              Taskkill
              Tasklist
              Telnet Administrator
              Provides support for multi-processor systems (2 or 4 CPUs), Dynamic Disks, Fax.
              Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Google is your friend.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_home_pro.asp
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Thanks.

As soon as you click "Customise and Buy", the price changes from £299 to £393.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
                    uncle google says

Windows XP Home Edition

Contains basic support for security among multiple users.
                    Built-in support for peer-to-peer networking, but only for up to five computers.
                    The backup utlity is not installed by default, but is included on the CD.
                    [CUT]
                    Although they share the same Kernel, the security system on XP home is very reduced (only accounts are guest and administrators). This has an impact on all applications where you have to configure user rights. I am not aware of a possible workaround.
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X