• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will Ireland vote yes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Ireland vote yes?

Yes campaign has outspent the no campaign by about 10 to 1, but will it make the difference? Will the irish change their minds?
    We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
    - Douglas Adams

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
    Yes campaign has outspent the no campaign by about 10 to 1, but will it make the difference? Will the irish change their minds?
    Depends on what the BIFFO votes... if he's yes, the country will say no.
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

It would be like saying no to a steaming big pile of free cash though wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        It would be like saying no to a steaming big pile of free cash though wouldn't it?
        Compared with a lot of the new joiners to the EU, Eire is pretty well off!

Comment

Not for the first time I'm a little confused. Is the Lisbon treaty really so much worse than the Maastricht one? You see, the problem is, a lot of those complaining about the Lisbon treaty are the same culprits who told us for years that the Maastricht treaty would cause all sorts of problems. I wish the anti-EU lot would concentrate on asking us to leave the EU - if I thought it really was so bad for us that's what I would be campaigning for. The present situation doesn't really seem to address any issues - UKIP get seats in the Euro election (where they can earn Euros in a role that doesn't affect our membership) yet they've never yet had a UK MP elected - and it's the UK Parliament that can decide whether to pull out or not. (At least Farage is reported as trying for the next general election to get into HofP).

No, it's no good. The logic of it all escapes me.
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
            Not for the first time I'm a little confused....
            You shouldn't be - it couldn't be more simple.

The Irish have already voted. They said no. This answer was unacceptable to the EU so they have been told to go away and do it again, and to give an acceptable answer this time. If they vote the same way, there will probably be another vote. Or it will just be ignored.

That should tell you everything you need to know about the EU.

....and had a vote been offered on the maastricht treaty, I suspect it would have gone the same way.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
              Not for the first time I'm a little confused.
              If one is conceding sovereignty, one should have a say. We weren't for Maastricht, and we aren't now. We are being stitched up like a kipper.

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
                If any Irish people are reading this, *please* vote yes so that England can have the honour of having the first EU President, Tony Blair. It'll make us English people so proud and feel so important compared with plucky little Ireland.

You know it makes sense
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Scenes exactly like this must be happening all over Ireland right now:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z_z6lSgB_8

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    If any Irish people are reading this, *please* vote yes so that England can have the honour of having the first EU President, Tony Blair. It'll make us English people so proud and feel so important compared with plucky little Ireland.
                    He is Scottish.

Comment

Working...
                    X