• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Diesel vehicles keep engine running

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel vehicles keep engine running

Why do people in diesel engine cars, vans and trucks keep the engine running when they have pulled over and stopped? I see it all the time. Ten minutes on the phone by the side of the road? No problem, I'll keep the engine running. Coaches and buses are the worst.

Petrol-powered vehicle drivers have no such aversion to the ignition key. Why only diesel drivers do this? Are they scared their engine won't work?
    Cats are evil.

Coach and buses being the worst because most coach and buses are diesel?

Comment

They're trying to avoid the horrible noise of start-up.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Because their employer is paying for the fuel.

Simples.

Comment

They are keeping the air conditioning running.

HTH

Comment

Often when I pop into the local shop I don't bother locking the car doors. So one day I come back to find an old guy sat in my car trying to start it. I say, "would you mind getting in your own car", to which he got quite upset and seemed a bit bewildered looking at his own keys saying "don't you lock your door!". And then buggered off. He's probably either in a nut house or has a fleet of cars by now.

Comment

i don't.

Comment

It's an offence to leave your engine running when not in the car. I think it comes under "not under proper control of the vehicle" or such like.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  It's an offence to leave your engine running when not in the car. I think it comes under "not under proper control of the vehicle" or such like.
                  Yeah, people have been done for it in winter as I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    Yeah, people have been done for it in winter as I recall.
                    Yep, even if the car is on your own driveway. Keeps the "solved" crime stats looking good.

Comment

Working...
                    X