• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed!!! Court Action

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed!!! Court Action

Hi,
    Over a year ago a client approached us to do some design work for a new company consisting of 4 directors. The financial director was to head the project and issue payment.

Once the work had been completed an invoice was sent out and no payment received. A debt collection agency tried for us but no luck, we are no going to court.

I have found out however that this new company was never formed or registered at Companies House. We are currently trying to claim the money from the financial director personally as she requested the works - will this hold up in court??

We have no signed agreement only e-mails form her authorising the work.

Going grey over this and furious with this woman. She has several companies has an appalling financial history (I now know!!)

Originally posted by Amybear View Post
    Hi,
    Over a year ago a client approached us to do some design work for a new company consisting of 4 directors. The financial director was to head the project and issue payment.

Once the work had been completed an invoice was sent out and no payment received. A debt collection agency tried for us but no luck, we are no going to court.

I have found out however that this new company was never formed or registered at Companies House. We are currently trying to claim the money from the financial director personally as she requested the works - will this hold up in court??

Going grey over this and furious with this woman. She has several companies has an appalling financial history (I now know!!)
    If you have emails from her asking you to do the work and can prove she knew you wanted payment for it or what the payment terms were you should be ok. Emails are acceptable as evidence in court.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

As above.

In English and Welsh courts a fax, email, letter or verbal agreement can form a contract.

If an email forms a contract then the parties need to be clearly identified on the email i.e. someone's initials aren't enough but someone's name is unless you also have other proof showing that a contract has been formed.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Agreed with above. Sometimes a company will try and tell you that only an official Purchase Order represents a contract.

That's BS. A PO is certainly more solid, but even a 2 line e-mail can be construed as a contract if it contains the relevant words.

If you have a chain of e-mails going back and forth, you have them/her banged to rights.

Comment

Hi,

I wish you the best of luck in getting what is owed to you. However, my suggestion moving forward is to do a credit check against the company and the directors (if the company is small enough).
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Thanks

That is such a relief!!!

We weren't sure if the e-mails would hold up but we have full details on all of them with name and address etc.

What we are doing though is seeking payment from her personally not through her business, as the company was never formed. She is or has been a director of numerous companies, orders work and then goes into liquidation.

Thanks to all of the above for saving my hair!

Comment

I will and have happily sued for my money however yours seems like a dead end case.

Did they use Ltd in their tile? If they just called themselves Name Company without Ltd then they were “trading as” in which case all the people involved are personally liable for debts.

If they used Ltd in their name and they were not Ltd then that is fraud.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Im not certain the emails will be sufficient.

Recent judgements have said accepting roles by emails does not constitute acceptance of a contract.

Good luck!
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

That is such a relief!!!

We weren't sure if the e-mails would hold up but we have full details on all of them with name and address etc.

What we are doing though is seeking payment from her personally not through her business, as the company was never formed. She is or has been a director of numerous companies, orders work and then goes into liquidation.

Thanks to all of the above for saving my hair!
                  If this woman has such an easily accessible dodgy trading history you may want to enlist the help of Watchdog.

All the best. Please keep us updated on how you get on.
                  Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                  "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Working...
                  X