• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are we on the verge of world war 3?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we on the verge of world war 3?

With this Iran stuff?

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

no. not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
      no. not even close.
      Ok, thanks. Night night.

Comment

no problem. sleep well. awake refreshed. be happy.

Comment

All my life we have been on the edge of WW3 (Soviets, rogue states etc. etc.). This is just another phase and nuclear war ain't going to happen.
          Last edited by Zippy; 2 October 2009, 22:07. Reason: clarification - nuclear war
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
            no problem. sleep well. awake refreshed. be happy.
            thanks dude.

(was actually a bit worried about this)

Comment

Sorry - WWIII starts next week.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I think Tom Lehrer put it quite well ...

Linky
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  With this Iran stuff?

Hmm... You could actually be on to something here.

I'm preparing, just in case, by purchasing a copy of CoD: Modern Warfare 2 and getting in some practice in.

Fire in the hole! Click-click-boom!

Nomadd
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

I bet the Yanks are working feverishly on some new toys suitable to take out underground nuclear facilities, like Rods from God

Project Thor is an idea for a weapons system that launches kinetic projectiles from Earth orbit to damage targets on the ground. Jerry Pournelle originated the concept while working in operations research at Boeing in the 1950s before becoming a science-fiction writer.[1]

The most described system is 'an orbiting tungsten telephone pole with small fins and a computer in the back for guidance.' The weapon can be down-scaled, an orbiting "crowbar" rather than a pole.

The time between deorbiting and impact would only be a few minutes, and depending on the orbits and positions in the orbits, the system would have a world-wide range. There is no requirement to deploy missiles, aircraft or other vehicles. Although the SALT II (1979) prohibited the deployment of orbital weapons of mass destruction, it did not prohibit the deployment of conventional weapons.

The weapon inflicts damage because it moves at orbital velocities, at least 9 kilometers per second. The amount of energy released by the largest version when it hits the ground is roughly comparable to a small nuclear weapon or very large conventional bomb. Smaller weapons can deliver measured amounts of energy as small as a 500 lb conventional bomb.

The "pole" shape is optimal because it enhances reentry and maximizes the device's ability to penetrate hard or buried targets. The larger device is expected to be quite good at penetrating deeply buried bunkers and other command and control targets. The smaller "crowbar" size might be employed for anti-armor, anti-aircraft, anti-satellite and possibly anti-personnel use.

The weapon would be very hard to defend against. It has a very high closing velocity and a small radar cross-section. Launch is difficult to detect. Any infra-red launch signature occurs in orbit, at no fixed position. The infra-red launch signature also has a small magnitude compared to a ballistic missile launch. One drawback of the system is that the weapon's sensors would almost certainly be blind during atmospheric reentry due to the plasma sheath that would develop ahead of it, so a mobile target could be difficult to hit if it performed any unexpected maneuvering.

While the larger version might be individually launched, the smaller versions would be launched from "pods" or "carriers" that contained several missiles.

The phrase "Rods from God" is also used to describe the same concept.
                    Last edited by OwlHoot; 3 October 2009, 00:22.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X