• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Complete UK Postcode Database on Wikileaks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete UK Postcode Database on Wikileaks

I keep an eye on Wikileaks every month or two, and in case anyone is interested, a file comprising every UK postcode (all 1,841,177 of them) with Geographic and other data as of July 2009 was posted there a couple of weeks ago.

We as taxpayers paid for it so help yourself
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I keep an eye on Wikileaks every month or two, and in case anyone is interested, a file comprising every UK postcode (all 1,841,177 of them) with Geographic and other data as of July 2009 was posted there a couple of weeks ago.

That looks interesting.

Thanks

Comment

Cool!

Many's the time I've wanted this kind of info, the best I've had previously is a file with just the outward portion.

Based on a very quick look, the data may need a bit of cleaning. For instance the outward and inward postcode parts are sometimes space separated, sometimes not and sometimes have a carriage return. At least that was the state by the time I copied from Linux to Windoze.

Comment

It imports okay into Access & Excel though. All 1.8 million postcodes. Cool. Will have fun playing with that later.

Comment

I thought everybody already knew about this - it was all over the tech news sites, and has been mentioned in The Guardian. El Reg's report is nearly three weeks old.

There are a number of limitations: for example it doesn't actually include the PAF (Postal Address File) data, so it mainly just maps post codes to latitude and longitude; this information is already available via sources such as Yahoo's GeoPlanet API, which draws on this data via a legitimate licence.

More importantly, many people are reluctant to use it for anything that may draw attention to them because of the strong likelihood that there is poisoned data in there: information that is incorrect, doesn't impede the normal use of the dataset, yet can be used to prove theft of copyrighted material. Cartographers commonly use such techniques - a kink in a river, or a small copse, that don't actually exist; the A-Z people include non-existent footpaths or cul-de-sacs on their maps so they can prove that somebody has copied their data without attribution and the associated licensing fees. Dictionaries also often include non-existent words.

So although it's nice to have in terms of the curiosity value, if you intend to build something other than for your own enjoyment then you might be better off using one of the free APIs that already offer this data (and have integrated it with much larger datasets), or just licensing it yourself.

I'll have a play with it for my own entertainment, but I'm not seeing anything in there that I don't already get for free from other legitimate sources.

Comment

BTW, Buckingham Palace's record is located at offset 0x0C5A80D3

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I thought everybody already knew about this - it was all over the tech news sites, and has been mentioned in The Guardian. El Reg's report is nearly three weeks old.

There are a number of limitations: for example it doesn't actually include the PAF (Postal Address File) data, so it mainly just maps post codes to latitude and longitude; this information is already available via sources such as Yahoo's GeoPlanet API, which draws on this data via a legitimate licence.

More importantly, many people are reluctant to use it for anything that may draw attention to them because of the strong likelihood that there is poisoned data in there: information that is incorrect, doesn't impede the normal use of the dataset, yet can be used to prove theft of copyrighted material. Cartographers commonly use such techniques - a kink in a river, or a small copse, that don't actually exist; the A-Z people include non-existent footpaths or cul-de-sacs on their maps so they can prove that somebody has copied their data without attribution and the associated licensing fees. Dictionaries also often include non-existent words.

So although it's nice to have in terms of the curiosity value, if you intend to build something other than for your own enjoyment then you might be better off using one of the free APIs that already offer this data (and have integrated it with much larger datasets), or just licensing it yourself.

I'll have a play with it for my own entertainment, but I'm not seeing anything in there that I don't already get for free from other legitimate sources.
              Interesting reading on the Mountweazel effect here.
              Here's another place to get postcode data
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                the A-Z people include non-existent footpaths or cul-de-sacs on their maps
                That explains a lot last time I used their maps in London!

Comment

Excellent - now if somebody here could just pop that into a MapInfo table for me it would be much appreciated...Ta!
                  A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Is that an argument? If so I wonder when can I have my fire engine?

Comment

Working...
                    X