• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why Can't PCs have more USB sockets?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Can't PCs have more USB sockets?

I need to plug in the following USB gadgets, among others, at various times and would prefer if they could all be connected at once:

- mouse
    - A4 scanner
    - A3 scanner
    - 4 SATA cradles, each with 2 Tbyte disk
    - memory stick
    - camera cable
    - mobile phone cable
    - printer

and how many USB sockets does my PC case I have? A poxy four, and two of those are tucked round the back and very hard to reach.

Why can't PC cases have a decent number of USB sockets, like 16 or something?

PC hubs are useless, even powered ones it seems, as I can never get disks to work reliably with them. I wonder if one can get PC boards whose sole purpose is to expose a load of USB sockets at the back.

Oh well, at least USB 3 is due out later this year.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

I feel your pain.

I have to put my iPod on the motherboard usb socket, it doesn't recognise anything else (and I have a powered hub too...)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

That's why I chose Firewire for external disks and CD/DVD burner. You can daisy chain Firewire devices together off one port.

One of the extras you get when you spring for a Mac
      (although not all models unfortunately)
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

The more socket the less bandwidth, if you like, becomes available for each device.

Ive done the same as sysman - Firewire 800 to an external scsi drive - ouch. Only one failure in two years - cheap Chinese power adapter
        Last edited by scooterscot; 4 October 2009, 10:02.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

My complaint is when they put USB ports so close together that you can't plug things into adjacent sockets.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Oh well, at least USB 3 is due out later this year.
            Hmm, approaching HMDI bandwidth. I'll still end up trying to put it in the wrong way up though.

Comment

Agree with OwlHoot.

When looking at buying a new PC, I always check to see how many USB ports it has. For me, the minimum would be 4 - 6 ports.

Had a similar issue a few years ago and ended up buying a cheap USB 2.0 PCI card similar to this.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                and how many USB sockets does my PC case I have? A poxy four, and two of those are tucked round the back and very hard to reach.
                How old is your PC? All modern PCs have a lot of USB ports.

In your case you should connect SATA disks to SATA ports like the nature intended them. There might be a case for one portable connected via USB, but if you've got 4 of them then it ain't right config.

0 ports should be used in this case really.

--------------

A4 and A3 scanner at the same time, can't you use A3 one to scan A4 papers?

1 Port used.

--------------

A good USB hub should be perfectly capable of handling these devices:

- mouse
                - memory stick
                - mobile phone cable

1 port (via HUB)

----

Connect high bandwidth ones to real ports:

- camera cable
                - printer

2 Ports used

-----

Total 4 ports usage.

HTH

Comment

USB runs at about a third of the speed of SATA, hard disks should be plugged into SATA ports.

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
                    USB runs at about a third of the speed of SATA, hard disks should be plugged into SATA ports.
                    SATA 300 GBytes/sec independent - USB 2.0 - 480 Mbits (all devices).

If you really need to pull out disks easily get one of these:

http://www.retrevo.com/s/Supermicro-...17dj883/t/1-2/

Comment

Working...
                    X