• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Premium Bonds, Alan Sugar and government debt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premium Bonds, Alan Sugar and government debt

Anyone seen that advert for premium bonds, where Alan Sugar says he is giving his fee for the advert to charity because he believes in the product?

It is boll*x.

Alan Sugar is a Labour luvvy. Labour need to borrow more money as always, and borrowing it from us via premium bonds is cheaper than borrowing from anywhere else, because premium bonds have a crap rate of return. Hence the campaign.

He must think we are stupid.

He doesn't think we are stupid. He knows we are stupid and he has proof. Three terms of New Lie prove it beyond all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
      Anyone seen that advert for premium bonds, where Alan Sugar says he is giving his fee for the advert to charity because he believes in the product?

It is boll*x.

Alan Sugar is a Labour luvvy. Labour need to borrow more money as always, and borrowing it from us via premium bonds is cheaper than borrowing from anywhere else, because premium bonds have a crap rate of return. Hence the campaign.

He must think we are stupid.

DOH ! - Anyone want some premium bonds , they're going cheap.
      I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

Originally posted by Clownio
        DOH ! - Anyone want some premium bonds , they're going cheap.
        yup I'll have them,,,,,the rate of return is about 6%
        SA says;
        Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        (whatever these are)

Comment

6%??

nobody I know gets 6% over a reasonable period of time. Some have made good money initially but as things level out 2.5-3% seems to be more normal.

Comment

I've had £500 worth for 35 years. My rate of return has been 0%.

Comment

Isn't that 6% net?

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre
                Isn't that 6% net?
                Wins from Premium Bonds are untaxed. They are often favoured by the rich as a safe place to bury the money up to the maximum permitted. Returns (wins) are often at or above todays rate of interest over a long term - with the opportunity of winning 'the big one'. However they are only good in times of low inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY
                  Wins from Premium Bonds are untaxed. They are often favoured by the rich as a safe place to bury the money up to the maximum permitted. Returns (wins) are often at or above todays rate of interest over a long term - with the opportunity of winning 'the big one'. However they are only good in times of low inflation.

I've often seen favourable comments about them on investment boards

Comment

And presumably the winnings don't count as income for tax return purposes?
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X