• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can LL be held responsible for dodgy material tenants are downloading?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can LL be held responsible for dodgy material tenants are downloading?

I rent my UK property out to sharer's and am considering getting the internet broadband connection on my name and recouping the money in the rent as tenants seem to come and go and it's easier to keep the connection going that way.

My other half is worried that I would be held responsible should the housemates download dodgy material (lets say music). They are all great tenants and stuff, but I am curious as to what would happen in such a scenario. Does it really does boil down to who is named on the agreement of the broadband line rental.

Thanks in advance.

I believe that if the laws were enforced as originally intended then it is the one committing the crime that has to serve the punishment. Not the owner of the tool.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by LostInBrussels View Post
      My other half is worried that I would be held responsible
      Put her name on the contract then and she would not worry about you...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Put her name on the contract then and she would not worry about you...
        Ah marital relations - yet another subject you know zero about yet feel compelled to comment on.

Is there any beginning to your knowledge of life?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Look upon this as an opportunity: If you get caught downloading dodgy stuff you can blame it on the tennents

Comment

That's right, if your tenants are downloading, blame it on an 80s rapper...

ETA late 80s early 90s

Comment

I rent my UK property out to sharer's and am considering getting the internet broadband connection on my name and recouping the money in the rent as tenants seem to come and go and it's easier to keep the connection going that way.
              My letting agent advised me not to go down this route. He's seen problems occur in the past; its just something else that can go wrong and you have responsibility for.

Comment

My other half is worried that I would be held responsible should the housemates download dodgy material (lets say music). They are all great tenants and stuff, but I am curious as to what would happen in such a scenario. Does it really does boil down to who is named on the agreement of the broadband line rental.

Thanks in advance.
                Nooooo - leave it to the tenant. They want your property, they sort out the internet.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Thanks in advance.
                  Yes. The music industry investigators are renown for their lack of ability, and their lawyers are on contracts where whatever money they win they keep. So you have lusers, joined at the waist with the worst sort of ambulance chaser. You're the only one with assets, so whose ass are they going to have?
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                    I believe that if the laws were enforced as originally intended then it is the one committing the crime that has to serve the punishment. Not the owner of the tool.
                    Agreed that's how it should work, but also pretty sure that they go after the owner.

Case in point. If the car you own goes past a speeding camera, then unless you can prove it wasn't you driving - you get the conviction.

Comment

Working...
                    X