• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Income protection

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Income protection

So, with Amiga 500 Jr. due on Xmas day, I have started to think about what would happen if I were injured or unable to work.

Have any of you taken out any form of income protection? If so can you tell me how much it cost, who it is with and how much/how long it protects you for?

Thanking you
    You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
    So, with Amiga 500 Jr. due on Xmas day, I have started to think about what would happen if I were injured or unable to work.

Have any of you taken out any form of income protection? If so can you tell me how much it cost, who it is with and how much/how long it protects you for?

Thanking you
    Is there no evolution or progression in this world. Why not Super Cray Jnr?
    Sorry can't anser your other question.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Is the Amiga 500 Jr technically not an Amiga 600?? Same thing but in a smaller case. Just thinking out loud...

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post

Thanking you
        Hope it doesn't come out as a commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
          Hope it doesn't come out as a commodore.
          If it comes out as an Atari 520ST then Mrs Amiga 500's got some explaining to do.

Comment

Originally posted by teclo View Post
            If it comes out as an Atari 520ST then Mrs Amiga 500's got some explaining to do.

in answer to your other question, it's been asked lots before and I believe the general concensus ( ? can't be bothered to check + pedants will do it for me ) is that no insurance company I know of offers this for contractors and if they did the small print/hidden clauses would make it almost unclaimable.

Best option is to use the "stuff it under the mattress" / "that's what your warchest/savings/company profit" is for, to be used in lean times.

HTH

Chef
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by teclo View Post
              Ah now I see what the problem is if it's a Super Cray
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Forgive me for posting on topic but...

I got a HSBC income protection policy for about £25/month, to pay about £15,000/year after 6 months. That's on top of government incapacity benefit, which is about £5000.
                As you have a sprog you'll probably want higher. And of course I am finely honed and in the prime of life, so adjust if you're a Capstan-chainsmoking wreck.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  no insurance company I know of offers this for contractors and if they did the small print/hidden clauses would make it almost unclaimable.
                  Chef - I think you're talking about unemployment insurance, i.e. loss of job rather than loss of arms & legs.

Though I am also quietly sceptical of my income protection insurance paying out too. If you're well enough to dial the claims line you're well enough to work, I expect.

Comment

Working...
                  X