• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Makes sense to go abroad to get experience?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes sense to go abroad to get experience?

I'm pondering my options for 2010 and in my view things have not recovered too well in UK, so I consider moving out.
    I've recently moved south, to London with a view to maybe getting a job in finance, but this hasn't materialised really, mostly due to me not having any experience in finance sector.
    Does it make sense to go abroad for a year or so to get that experience?
    What I mean is, will the hiring managers consider that overseas experience as equivalent to a local one?

I've often thought of getting a banking contract in Zurich or Frankfurt, followed by a move into the City.

Then I ended up in public sector, and now I don't really want to work in the City.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

I have moved around a lot. It depends on the package you are offered.

If you go on your own steam, in most cases you will only cover your move costs in the first year (no profit/savings).

I think it is more difficult to get into a role you have no experience in abroad. Usually they are looking for experts in the role.

You should look at your CV first.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

For Some countries yes- The UK maybe not

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
        I'm pondering my options for 2010 and in my view things have not recovered too well in UK, so I consider moving out.
        What I mean is, will the hiring managers consider that overseas experience as equivalent to a local one?
        Working overseas for South Africans is always a good option but I am not sure it will always work for Brits working overseas
        There are cases where it would be an advantage
        If you speak French then having actually worked in France would work.
        Working in the USA and understanding US GAAP,Sales tax would be a good option if you were looking to work for American multinationals.

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
          I've recently moved south, to London with a view to maybe getting a job in finance, but this hasn't materialised really, mostly due to me not having any experience in finance sector.
          No harm in trying, TBH.

My cv was looking desperately short of finance experience a couple of years back, so I took a job in the North West (not quite "overseas" ). It was my first role outside London for nearly 20 years, but I would have worked almost anywhere just to get a bit of Banking back on the cv.

What have you got to lose. Living expenses in London are bad, so I guess you'd be much better off trying your luck elsewhere for a while.

Nomadd
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

I went abroad for a short term contract, and quickly realised what a sh1t hole the UK is.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              I went abroad for a short term contract, and quickly realised what a tulip hole the UK is.
              seconded. forgot whats its like to live in a place where things actually work and people are not all kunts.

Comment

Working...
              X