• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going down

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...o-live-in.html

Britain has slipped out of the top 20 most desirable countries in which to live for the first time, according to UN data, beaten by France, Australia and the United States.

Norway tops the study, which ranks countries on their education, wealth and life expectancy, using figures compiled by the United Nations Development Programme.

Britain, which was ranked 16th two years ago when the UN last conducted the research, has slipped five places to be ranked 21, only a few places ahead of Slovenia, Greece and Andorra in the Human Development Report 2009.

In 1990, Britain was ranked tenth on the index, which measures how "developed" 182 countries are.

So what landslide event happened in the 1990's that has dropped Britain into the tulipehole category?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...o-live-in.html

Britain has slipped out of the top 20 most desirable countries in which to live for the first time, according to UN data, beaten by France, Australia and the United States.

Norway tops the study, which ranks countries on their education, wealth and life expectancy, using figures compiled by the United Nations Development Programme.

Britain, which was ranked 16th two years ago when the UN last conducted the research, has slipped five places to be ranked 21, only a few places ahead of Slovenia, Greece and Andorra in the Human Development Report 2009.

In 1990, Britain was ranked tenth on the index, which measures how "developed" 182 countries are.

So what landslide event happened in the 1990's that has dropped Britain into the tulipehole category?

Its nice to see that the data matches my perceptions.
    Some people seem to think that it's just getting old that does it.
    But it really was better in the 80s.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Does this mean immigrants will be less keen to come here now?
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Does this mean immigrants will be less keen to come here now?
        According to the report that's already happening.
        http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/HDR_2009_EN_Complete.pdf , figure 2.4 on page 32

hth
        tl

Comment

Working...
        X