• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are we the bad guys?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we the bad guys?

We are so used to thinking of ourselves as the good guys (as a result of WW2 propaganda I think) that it's strange to think that much of the world thinks of the US and UK as the bullying bad guys.
    Are we really the bad guys now, not as bad as Nazis, but nevertheless nasty?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

we should not have invaded iraq. that was bad.

Comment

I don't think we even have the capability to bully anyone any more even if we wanted to. The bad guys all speak French

Comment

It's only the actual bad guys that think of us as the bad guys though.

I've been surprised when working in Europe how much the British are actually liked. We've kind of been fed this endless image of ourselves as football hooligans, binge drinkers, single teenage mums, xenophobic immigrant bashers... but most the forrins what I have spoken with don't seem to have that perception at all. They think we're really nice and they want to come here on their holidays. The fools.

Comment

It depends who you mean by "we".
          The West has abused it's power and bullied the developing world for politcal and monetary gain without remorse.
          It is those who wield the power who are guilty, not the general populace. To be fair, the general populace has itself been abused by the same power wielders, just in a different fasion.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

It's only the actual bad guys that think of us as the bad guys though.
            I disagree - ask the afghan woman who's children were killed by a US bomb landing on their village

i think if you dig deeper you'll probably find that the US and UK have massacred innocent iraqi and afghan civillians in the thousands.

have you not ever wondered why there is so little news about the war in the middle east? we arent being told the full story....

Comment

I think it's more a case of "not as bad as the bad guys" rather than good guys.

Given the choice of who should have control over nuclear weapons, I think the choice is clear.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                It depends who you mean by "we".
                The West has abused it's power and bullied the developing world for politcal and monetary gain without remorse.
                It is those who wield the power who are guilty, not the general populace. To be fair, the general populace has itself been abused by the same power wielders, just in a different fasion.
                Yes I would agree with that. Just as the elite exploited the empire and grew rich on its spoils, later they allowed immigration from the colonies as a sop to their guilt.
                Now its multinationals (controlled by the same elite) who set the political agenda. Under the guise of the "War on Terror" (I don't really believe Osama wants to create a Caliphate in Britain), these multinationals can secure their raw materials and security for their markets.

The communists were right - communism is the right course for humanity - but not until people evolve to really think collectively.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

"I see cretins everywhere"

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Yes I would agree with that. Just as the elite exploited the empire and grew rich on its spoils, later they allowed immigration from the colonies as a sop to their guilt.
                  Now its multinationals (controlled by the same elite) who set the political agenda. Under the guise of the "War on Terror" (I don't really believe Osama wants to create a Caliphate in Britain), these multinationals can secure their raw materials and security for their markets.

The communists were right - communism is the right course for humanity - but not until people evolve to really think collectively.
                  Well excuse me, but are you the same chap who is constantly harping on about money and possessions and is working for a bank!!!!!!!!!

Do me a favour.

And with regards to communism, just a simple thought from this simpleton.

Communism hasn't worked out too well thus far, unless you believe working out is

Being run over by a 50 tonne tank (China)
                  Starved (Korea)
                  Installed in a frozen wasteland (Russia)
                  Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
                    Well excuse me, but are you the same chap who is constantly harping on about money and possessions and is working for a bank!!!!!!!!!

Do me a favour.

And with regards to communism, just a simple thought from this simpleton.

Communism hasn't worked out too well thus far, unless you believe working out is

Being run over by a 50 tonne tank (China)
                    Starved (Korea)
                    Installed in a frozen wasteland (Russia)
                    As opposed to the roaring success of capitalism.

Capitalism and communism both enslave the majority but one has the illusion of freedom.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X