• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Get out of the Water..NOW! Cyanide in River

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get out of the Water..NOW! Cyanide in River

Warning over River Trent cyanide

The deadly chemical cyanide and a quantity of raw sewage have leaked into a 30-mile stretch of the River Trent in Staffordshire.

Thousands of fish have died and people are being warned to stay away from the river while the incident is controlled.

The Environment Agency said pollution in the stretch between Stoke-on-Trent and Yoxall made it a health risk.

Farmers, anglers and boaters have been warned that water should not be taken out of the river "for any reason".

Alan Walters, from the Environment Agency, told BBC News the incident had had "a huge impact".

He said they were attempting to use hydrogen peroxide to offset the worst effects of the spillage.

Andrew Marsh, from Severn Trent Water, said a leak of cyanide, which had not been caused by the company, had knocked out a water treatment plant and this had led to a discharge of sewage.

The Environment Agency said the pollution was expected to reach Burton on Trent by late afternoon on Wednesday.

It is thought the risk to the public may then have been reduced but officers were continuing to monitor the situation.

A spokeswoman said an investigation had been launched into the cause but could not give further information for legal reasons.

'Tracking' pollution

The cyanide and untreated sewage were at levels to be "cause for concern, especially with regard to fish, wildlife and animals".

Thousands of fish have already died but it was important that farm animals and dogs were kept out of the water.

"We are tracking the pollution as it moves downstream," the spokeswoman added.

The RSPCA said it would be sending a team to the area at first light to assess the situation.

"We expect there will be quite a big clean-up operation involved. For those people with livestock we would remind them to get them away from the area as safely as possible," a spokeswoman said.

Source at the Beeb

Catastrophic by all accounts.

I'm guessing that providing the source was a business, it should be fairly easy to trace the polluter, because :

1. Cyanide is a controlled substance and a licence is required for its use.
    2. Checking the auditory records will quickly reveal a list of potential companies in that area. I doubt it would be a long list.

/conspiracy mode on

Or was it a terrorist attack perhaps ?

/conspiracy mode off
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Appalling news. What about the brewing industry at Burton? Although I don't believe its as large as it used to be (familiar story).

Comment

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
      Appalling news. What about the brewing industry at Burton? Although I don't believe its as large as it used to be (familiar story).
      It's Coors owned...could only improve the taste!

Comment

All those poor little fish. Mind you, you could go and collect a few and then fry them up for your mother in law.

One assumes that mud samples could be used to track source too.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

bottled mineral water for me from now on!

Think about it....
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post

Think about it....
            I like my water with a hint of cyanide

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post

Think about it....
              What am I thinking about? They've shut the water treatment works, mineral water is no better than what comes out of the tap in a lot of areas - just depends where you live...

Comment

For a daily dose of cyanide, you merely have to take up smoking, or encourage the mother-in-law to start
                Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
                  For a daily dose of cyanide, you merely have to take up smoking, or encourage the mother-in-law to start
                  You can cope with a tiny amount but it is seriously nasty stuff. It blocks the bodys ability to take up oxygen so you suffocate.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Whilst there is no information yet about the source, I decided to Google Earth the flow down to Strongford Processing Plant, in Stoke.

It heads north along the Trent through plenty of unsavoury industrial estates.

Curiously enough, there is a place called "Middlewich" along the route, which isn't far from being approximately 30 miles upstream, and for many years, the local anglers have called the patch of water the "The Cyanide Stretch".

I can't find out when this slang name started however, but it would seem to indicate that the Trent has had problems before (not necessarily from the same company).

Also of note, is that Cyanide is the by product of many chemical, photo-film processing, and agricultural pesticide industries. I also believe that it is used or a by product of waster water treatment.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X