• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Someone's plan b paid off nicely

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone's plan b paid off nicely

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...line-game.html

Joe Chedburn, a self-confessed geek, was just 16 when he came up with the idea to write an online game focused on crime.

Torn, which is text-based and has no graphics, grew quickly and now has around 41,000 active users with over 1.3 million account holders.

Although the game is free to play users can pay £3 every month to receive extra points and status.

Most players are willing to pay enabling the site to make around £50,000-a-month. Joe, from Frome, Somerset, is now a millionaire at the age of 21.

Good luck to all the plan b'ers here.

Anyone tempted to steal his idea?

Wonder if the young man will consider moving abroad - 50% of his earnings will now go to the taxman. I believe some here regard that as theft.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

More like 60% when you include NI.

He'd be mad to base his Internet business here.

Comment

Text based games...

Anyone else remember or play the Infocom games such as Zork, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, etc?

I first played a text adventure game in circa 1980, "You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully."

xyzzy !

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Text based games...

Anyone else remember or play the Infocom games such as Zork, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, etc?

I first played a text adventure game in circa 1980, "You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully."

xyzzy !
          Plugh

Comment

Gandalf goes west. Gandalf arrives from the west. Thorin sings a song about gold...

Even that had graphics.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Gandalf goes west. Gandalf arrives from the west. Thorin sings a song about gold...

Even that had graphics.
              But it didn't generate £50K a month did it?

His brilliance was:

1. Making the game free
              2. Letting people get a leg up for a measly £3 a month.

It's a good model. Provide something free but charge a small fee for better options and hope you get a million people signing up.

Comment

All respect to him, the boy done good.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  It's a good model. Provide something free but charge a small fee for better options and hope you get a million people signing up.
                  It's a common model. IIRC, Travian also uses it - I expect there are countless others.

I expect what it making him money is that the game is good.

Also, he'd probably the richest person in the tulip-hole that is Frome, Somerset...
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Text based games...

xyzzy !
                    The original sources to that have been found, bugs 'n' all. It was based on Colossal cave in Kentucky.

Further details here.
                    Last edited by Sysman; 7 October 2009, 11:53. Reason: typo
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X