PDA

View Full Version : BA Interview

suityou01
7th October 2009, 08:16
Right, the big day. 3:30 in Hampshire. 30 minute (face fit for the team?) interview. All 3 candidates booked in for back to back 30 minute interview slots. I am last, so have the potential to run on past the 30 minute mark :laugh

Seeing as this is my first BA only role, as I have been 50/50 BA and development (in BPM roles), and this is a BPM role, is there any interview prep I can be doing?

[wanders off muttering about Mission, Objectives, Strategy and tactics ....]

norrahe
7th October 2009, 08:19
What kind of BA role is it?

If it errs more on the technical side then look at the skill set and see how you match and how you can benefit the role.

It's all about selling yourself, you've done it a million times before.

Good luck

moorfield
7th October 2009, 08:19
Good luck.

I'm booked in for the 3.00 slot so I'll remember to put in a bad word for you.

singhr
7th October 2009, 08:22
Trim your nostril hair?

Spacecadet
7th October 2009, 08:25
I thought BA were shedding staff?

suityou01
7th October 2009, 08:37
What kind of BA role is it?

If it errs more on the technical side then look at the skill set and see how you match and how you can benefit the role.

It's all about selling yourself, you've done it a million times before.

Good luck

It is technical, but not so much. Previously they had a system architect who is leaving. They felt that while the architect was doing a good job, it gave them a chance to redefine the role and they felt that the requirements gathering needed more attention.

I am absolutely expert (as we all should be on here) in how IT development projects fail to deliver what the business ACTUALLY wants.

End users, and stakeholders alike suddenly come to life when you put something visual in front of them. "Aaaah I see what you've done there, that's not quite what I meant"

The problem is, how much effort you expend in that visual reference. Is it a prototype? I can't remember the last time a company sprung for a prototype. Is it a wireframe (seen them all over the place)

And of course, testing. Why are test scripts so half arsed (I'm on about business test scripts, UAT scripts etc, not unit test scripts)? Countless times I have inherited a project, been told there is no time to document it, just test it and get it working. I have taken a day and a half to derive a CRUD matrix, got bollocked for doing documentation when I should have been testing, and then been congratulated (somewhat grudgingly) when the CRUD matrix has become the cornerstone of the testing effort and the best thing to happen to the project.

Oh boy, could this be it? I get to gather the requirements, and prove to the business what got delivered meets their wants and needs. I am ready. :smokin

suityou01
7th October 2009, 08:39
Trim your nostril hair?

Done, is this better? :tongue

Lockhouse
7th October 2009, 09:30
I once had one of those round robin interviews at CSFB in Docklands on the 8th floor (I think it was) in one of the boardrooms. I had my 3 interviews by three different people. After the last one had finished I was told someone will be along shortly and I was left in the room alone. After 30 mins of sitting there next to the drinks cabinet and priceless artwork I got up to see where everyone was and all the lights were off and everyone had gone home. :laugh

Spacecadet
7th October 2009, 09:33
I once had one of those round robin interviews at CSFB in Docklands on the 8th floor (I think it was) in one of the boardrooms. I had my 3 interviews by three different people. After the last one had finished I was told someone will be along shortly and I was left in the room alone. After 30 mins of sitting there next to the drinks cabinet and priceless artwork I got up to see where everyone was and all the lights were off and everyone had gone home. :laugh

I hope you did what I think you did

Weltchy
7th October 2009, 10:25
Oh Oh, where abouts in Hampshire?

suityou01
7th October 2009, 10:41

Farnborough mate. Off the beers I'm afraid, but would easily neck a curry. Oh no wait, there I go being too forward again. :laugh Haven't even got the gig.

Weltchy
7th October 2009, 10:46
I'm down in Pompey, so you'd be an hour away. Well, good luck with your interview.

And remember, no farting, as that always leaves a bad impression!!!

Lockhouse
7th October 2009, 10:52
I hope you did what I think you did

Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne? Here? In a student-nurses hall of residence? At three o'clock in the morning? With my reputation? Has no-one thought of the consequences? Oh well.

OwlHoot
7th October 2009, 10:58
Farnborough mate. Off the beers I'm afraid, but would easily neck a curry. Oh no wait, there I go being too forward again. :laugh Haven't even got the gig.

Is that the Post Office data processing centre? Worked there for a while back in the mid '90s.

Pondlife
7th October 2009, 11:04
Are they recruiting for the christmas rush already? :D

suityou01
7th October 2009, 11:05
Is that the Post Office data processing centre? Worked there for a while back in the mid '90s.

Tiz not. Tiz a telco.

DimPrawn
7th October 2009, 11:11
Tiz not. Tiz a telco.

Is that the sound of a barrel being scraped at a Telco?

:laugh

mace
7th October 2009, 11:14
You've got to be urbane to nail a BA role. i.e. invest in an expensive looking suit and keep your language strictly business. If it's all suits you can make patronising comments about techies but they might sneak in an architect who could take offence.

suityou01
7th October 2009, 11:17

:rollin:

JoJoGabor
7th October 2009, 11:45

Recruitment agent warning!

teclo
7th October 2009, 11:46

Someone shout for me?

Weltchy
7th October 2009, 13:52
Recruitment agent warning!

:spel

Booze and Curry Night

You sir/madam have insulted my honour and I demand satisfaction!

suityou01
7th October 2009, 19:09
Ooooooooooh boy.

Back from interview. I was "head and shoulders" above the rest. They really like me and want to offer me.

They won't wait until I am available though. 5 days too long. :suicide:

We shall see. I'm good to start on 2nd Nov, they want 26th Oct. They said they will have to offer one of the other two if not, but they really want me.

I won't throw a sickie for my last week of notice, so don't even suggest it.

Bit like a hand of poker or summin. :rolleyes:

jmo21
7th October 2009, 19:23
hmm... "head and shoulders", but won't wait 5 days?

sounds fishy to me.

jmo21
7th October 2009, 19:24
also, is there no wiggle room with old contract?

suityou01
7th October 2009, 19:27
hmm... "head and shoulders", but won't wait 5 days?

sounds fishy to me.

Prezactly. I shall put on my best poker face and call their bluff. 5 days, it's nothing. :eyes

suityou01
7th October 2009, 19:28
also, is there no wiggle room with old contract?

Oh yes. About a weeks worth. 2/11 is taking this into account.

Zippy
7th October 2009, 19:33
C'mon SY01 - don't be an eejit over a week.

suityou01
7th October 2009, 19:34
C'mon SY01 - don't be an eejit over a week.

:confused:

Votisitmean?

DimPrawn
7th October 2009, 20:34
Ooooooooooh boy.

Back from interview. I was "head and shoulders" above the rest. :

Probably just commenting on your appalling dandruff.

suityou01
7th October 2009, 20:37
Probably just commenting on your appalling dandruff.

I'm bald. :laugh

Muttley08
7th October 2009, 20:40
You're showing loyalty to the mob that treated you so badly???? Think you'd be an eejit to as well...remember its about business and profit - not some victorian sense of loyalty to the workhouse governor

suityou01
7th October 2009, 20:47
You're showing loyalty to the mob that treated you so badly???? Think you'd be an eejit to as well...remember its about business and profit - not some victorian sense of loyalty to the workhouse governor

I am an eejit. Also soft, too nice, easily bullied.

Tomorrow, no more mr nice guy. Grrrrrrrrrr. I'm a tiiiiiiiiiiiiger. Rar. :D

vetran
7th October 2009, 21:44
congrats sy

every man for himself, women & children first. This swine flu is very contagious. They screwed you first.

d000hg
7th October 2009, 21:48
You're showing loyalty to the mob that treated you so badly???? Think you'd be an eejit to as well...remember its about business and profit - not some victorian sense of loyalty to the workhouse governorIt's not loyalty to demonstrate professionalism in how your company treats clients. A company should act respectfully and professionally to clients at all times... and that includes professionally refusing to provide services if the situation demands it.

Muttley08
7th October 2009, 21:58
I am an eejit. Also soft, too nice, easily bullied.

Tomorrow, no more mr nice guy. Grrrrrrrrrr. I'm a tiiiiiiiiiiiiger. Rar. :D

I read the thread on how you've been treated - just do what's right for yourself - they've treated you as a commodity - do the same to them...gd luck

suityou01
7th October 2009, 22:04
Thanks all :yay::yay::yay:

This will be my ring tone for the next three weeks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy3BdoWaYxY)

Muttley08
7th October 2009, 22:05
It's not loyalty to demonstrate professionalism in how your company treats clients. A company should act respectfully and professionally to clients at all times... and that includes professionally refusing to provide services if the situation demands it.

But we're not companies in reality...we're bodies to fill a need - I agree you can do it professionally - but in reality they've shown no respect and little humanity, so they don't deserve much back - by all means, have loyalty if you've been treated well, and respectfully...but don't be crapped on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very professional at work, but can't believe the expectations of people to bow to companies is bizarre really - eventually it boils down to profits in someone's pocket. Your own sanity / livelihood is much more important.

d000hg
8th October 2009, 00:41
Yes to an extent, and each person has to draw their own line, but calling in sick for your notice period while working with another client is just out and out lying.

SY01 had one person in particular making his life hell, the others sounded fairly OK. His client wasn't the PM anyway.

suityou01
8th October 2009, 19:17
Yes to an extent, and each person has to draw their own line, but calling in sick for your notice period while working with another client is just out and out lying.

SY01 had one person in particular making his life hell, the others sounded fairly OK. His client wasn't the PM anyway.

No so my friend. There are a few of them. The tolerable ones were the workers.

suityou01
8th October 2009, 19:17
Gig secured (subject to contract) and notice periods all sorted. :yay:

swamp
8th October 2009, 19:29
Well done! :yay:

It was us wot done it ;)

suityou01
8th October 2009, 19:32
Well done! :yay:

It was us wot done it ;)

Bloody was you know. :banana:

Coalman
8th October 2009, 19:40
Congrats - suits you sir!

Zippy
8th October 2009, 20:03
:banana:

Moscow Mule
8th October 2009, 20:04
You can go out and get leathered now...

suityou01
8th October 2009, 20:24
You can go out and get leathered now...

Tit. :spank:

Hawkeye
8th October 2009, 20:34
:banana: Well done!

d000hg
8th October 2009, 20:35
If this new gig goes to hell, you're going to be the contracting equivalent of Wilmslow and the nutty neighbours chasing him around.

suityou01
8th October 2009, 20:36
If this new gig goes to hell, you're going to be the contracting equivalent of Wilmslow and the nutty neighbours chasing him around.

oooooooooooh the pressure :rollin: