• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LSE on Linux now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LSE on Linux now

Article here
    That's great news in my view as I've always tried to stay away from M$.
    But I wonder in terms of local contract in London, is it going to create a lot of work, have these posts already been filled in?

I think I could quite a nice gig, with a little bit of work here and maybe a little travel to Sri Lanka...

Deutsche Boerse have also gone Linux recently.

Linux powers world's fastest stock exchange
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      Deutsche Boerse have also gone Linux recently.

Linux powers world's fastest stock exchange
      32 bit OS on a 64 bit architecture perchance? Tis the future.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

A fair bit of the Deutsche Bahn is also Linux (albeit the mainframe version) and I work on the largest Linux system here in Germany for parts of the government, also mainframe based. There are some very big names on the continent using Linux on mainframes due to saving costs. I only need one machine and I can run hundreds of Linux images
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Thought there was a 64bit version of RHEL, are they not using that?

Comment

Looks like the future is Linux folks.

You all better jump on that bandwagon.

Ride that Linux gravy train.

Toot-toot!

It's the .Notters I feel sorry for.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Looks like the future is Linux folks.

You all better jump on that bandwagon.

Ride that Linux gravy train.
              Been on the bandwagon for 12 years now, first used linux professionally in 1997.

Send all gig offers here...
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                Been on the bandwagon for 12 years now, first used linux professionally in 1997.

Send all gig offers here...
                When I was looking for that Deutsche Boerse article I came up with quite a few Linuxy sounding vacancies with them.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Hmmm, well we're running 64 bit Linux on 64 bit architecture as 32 bit Linux OS won't run on it
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I dont think that they are moving just to Linux, they are moving to application software that is already operating in may similar environments around the world.

The other key point is that they are also moving to cheap development teams in the far east and away from Accenture (read into that what you like).

The big question that remains unanswered is who in their right mind ever thought that .Net could ever be utilized to build a successful high throughput, real time transaction platform?? That kind of application is way outside its pay grade IMV.

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                    X