• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fair or unfair?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair or unfair?

Homeowners set to sue banks over low interest loans

For those that can't be arsed to click the link:
    Thousands of holders of controversial shared appreciation mortgages (SAMs) have been told they can club together to take on the banks that sold them in court in a US-style class action.
    Brief case for the plaintiff:
    For example, a home-owner who borrowed £25,000 at a zero rate of interest on a house worth £100,000 then would have to pay back £175,000 on redemption if the home was worth £300,000 today. That is made up of the original £25,000 plus £150,000, 75 per cent of the £200,000 increase in value.
    Brief case for the defence:
    Bank of Scotland said: "We believe the terms of the mortgages were clear to customers when they took out their loan but we recognise that the arguments the SAMs borrowers wish to raise should be brought before a court as quickly and efficiently as possible.
    Fair
    14.29%
    Unfair
    0.00%
    Andw says each are as bad as the other
    85.71%

If these were mis-sold (and they are very easy to mis-sell) then folks should win their case.

Why does the bank get 75% of the increase in value when they only put up 25% of the purchase price? Is it just an inequitable contract?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Inequitable seems to be the answer but I suspect that this'll be played out with BOS getting a bit more than the 25% back.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Why does the bank get 75% of the increase in value when they only put up 25% of the purchase price?
        Because they took all the risk and provided the loan at 0% (presumably when 0% was a really low rate, rather than compared to current rates).

Same thing happens on Dragons Den all the time
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Because they took all the risk and provided the loan at 0% (presumably when 0% was a really low rate, rather than compared to current rates).

Same thing happens on Dragons Den all the time
          It's not really "all the risk" if the buyer is sticking up 75% purchase price/equity.

Not really. Dragons get their %age of profits depending on their slice - if they've got 25% of a business they get 25% of the profits, not 75%.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I may be naive but couldn't these people have read what they were signing?
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              I expect so.

But if they were grannies trying to release equity in their homes they may well have been poorly advised, in which instance, there is a case to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                A lot of financial contracts aren't that straightforward and most likely an advisor steered them clear of checking the small print too thoroughly

Comment

Working...
                X