• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you Happy at your Work ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you Happy at your Work ?

Unhappy workers are more likely to become ill, according to a new study.
    People with low job satisfaction are most likely to encounter emotional burnout, reduced self-esteem, anxiety and depression, say researchers.

Even a modest drop in job satisfaction could lead to burnout of "considerable clinical importance", the report warned.

The study of 250,000 employees was carried out by Lancaster University and Manchester Business School.

Depression and anxiety were now the most common reasons for people starting to claim long-term sickness benefits, overtaking illnesses such as back pain, it found.

Organisations are reducing their permanent workforce and converting to 'outsourcing', which is increasing feelings of job insecurity

Professor Cary Cooper, of Lancaster University Management School, urged employers to seriously tackle the issue with "innovative policies".

"This would be a wise investment given the potential substantial economic and psychological costs of unhappy or dissatisfied workers," he said.

"Workers who are satisfied by their jobs are more likely to be healthier as well as happier."

Professor Cooper said the changing nature of work was also having an impact on employee's health.

He said: "New working practices and technological advances are rapidly changing the way we work. Many jobs are becoming more automated and inflexible.

"Organisations are reducing their permanent workforce and converting to 'outsourcing', which is increasing feelings of job insecurity."

He added: "These trends have contributed to a 'workaholic' culture throughout the UK and Europe - a climate that is impacting negatively in the levels of enjoyment and satisfaction employees gain from their work."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4447684.stm

Alf - perhaps this belongs on a permie board.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

No I am not HAPPY
      Emotional burnt out, zero self-esteem, anxious and depressed.
      This contrat SUCKS like a thousand sucky things
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Probaly explains why so many of Hectors lads and lasses go off sick

Taxman tops Whitehall Sick List.
        http://www.contractoruk.com/news/002389.html
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'm happy. Cos I'm a contractor and have just been doing some "On Call" with Tokyo

Comment

yup Tokyo & Brazil for me chching - luckly I have my passport with me this time, so I can just get on that plane......chching Christmas spending $$$$$
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
              yup Tokyo & Brazil for me chching - luckly I have my passport with me this time, so I can just get on that plane......chching Christmas spending $$$$$

Had my passport renewal sent back....for smiling ever so slightly....god it's hard being a contractor

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                No I am not HAPPY
                Emotional burnt out, zero self-esteem, anxious and depressed.
                This contrat SUCKS like a thousand sucky things
                Caesar's double-bed is warm
                As an unimportant clerk
                Writes I DO NOT LIKE MY WORK
                On a pink official form.

WH Auden Fall of Rome

Comment

My oh my guess who else is unhappy and cant face work...

From front page of CUK

Tax collectors take more days off work than any other civil servants, official data has revealed.

Revenue and Customs staff took an average 12 days each off work during 2004, making them by far the worst across Whitehall for claiming sick days.

Comment

Good I hope they are all REALLY ILL and die soon
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X