• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is to stop agencies doing this ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is to stop agencies doing this ?

1) Client gives agencies on PSL (Preferred Supplier List) heads up for a role, but specifies each agency can only submit up to 5 CV's of best candidates.
    2) Agency 1 advertises and hoovers up all the CV's of those with skill set.
    3) Agency 1 responds to all candidates with matching skill sets and implies verbally that CV being forwarded to client for consideration.
    4) Agency 2 contacts candidate who hasn't been short listed by Agency 1
    but is under impression he/she has been. So candidate asks Agency 2 not to
    forward his/her CV to client.
    5) Result Agency 1 has eliminated the majority of the competition for the role
    and one of their candidates is hired.

I know for a fact that this has happened to me on at least one occasion (from insider at another agency) and if this is the case then it is most likely a widespread practice.

The only solution I can see to this practice is to get your CV in to all the agencies and tell each that you have not been submitted via another agency.
    However I am very loathe to adopt this kind of practice. What do others think ?

Nothing at all.

They're bastards!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
      1) Client gives agencies on PSL (Preferred Supplier List) heads up for a role, but specifies each agency can only submit up to 5 CV's of best candidates.
      3) Agency 1 responds to all candidates with matching skill sets and implies verbally that CV being forwarded to client for consideration.

I know for a fact that this has happened to me on at least one occasion (from insider at another agency) and if this is the case then it is most likely a widespread practice.

The only solution I can see to this practice is to get your CV in to all the agencies and tell each that you have not been submitted via another agency.
      They do it all the time. The answer is indeed to tell them all to submit your CV, and ignore their bitching and their lying complaints that this will prevent you ever getting a contract - they only say that to stop you doing it. It's time to stop this ridiculous idea. And past time that we (who have the real knowledge and ability that keeps IT working) stopped being owned by pimply hair-gelled salesmen.
      Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
        They do it all the time. The answer is indeed to tell them all to submit your CV, and ignore their bitching and their lying complaints that this will prevent you ever getting a contract - they only say that to stop you doing it. It's time to stop this ridiculous idea. And past time that we (who have the real knowledge and ability that keeps IT working) stopped being owned by pimply hair-gelled salesmen.
        Agree with this - go with multiple....you can't trust them! If you've got the right skills and you get submitted twice...in the majority of cases it doesn't matter....the pimps are only worried how stupid they look when you can see how much they're adding on top compared with another agency.

Treat the pimps with the disdain they deserve

Comment

What those 2 just said + infinity^3.

Admittedly I have worked with a client that auto binned multiple applications so there is a risk, but overall I'd say the risk is much lower than that of you missing out because of the situation you outlined.

Comment

There's better than that. A certain agency has several branches and the client doesn't know that all the agencies it has on its PSL are actually just the same agency.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I would always allow more than one agency to represent me, I think it's worth the risk of being binned by the client. I would hope my CV is good enough for that not to happen frankly.

If agents don't like it, they can blame only themselves as they continue to prove themselves as utterly untrustworthy.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                I would always allow more than one agency to represent me, I think it's worth the risk of being binned by the client. I would hope my CV is good enough for that not to happen frankly.

If agents don't like it, they can blame only themselves as they continue to prove themselves as utterly untrustworthy.
                It does seem that a lot of agents' behaviour is ultimately counter-productive. I'm sure that most of us, if we needed to hire staff, would do it directly and do almost anything to avoid using agents, as they often rule out the best candidates and prevent a real choice getting to interview. In the long run they are cutting their own throat. Having said that, to use a quote often used elsewhere, in the long run we're all dead.
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                  It does seem that a lot of agents' behaviour is ultimately counter-productive. I'm sure that most of us, if we needed to hire staff, would do it directly and do almost anything to avoid using agents, as they often rule out the best candidates and prevent a real choice getting to interview. In the long run they are cutting their own throat. Having said that, to use a quote often used elsewhere, in the long run we're all dead.
                  Indeed. I can't help but feel frustrated that I currently need to rely on these people in order to work.

I only feel this way having endured so many agents incorrectly interpreting my CV, messing up /delaying contract paperwork, messing up invoicing, lying about the Agency Regs, and generally not doing anything to convince me they deserve any more than a finders fee. A real shame.
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

This happens all of the time mate - it's called "CV Blocking".
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X