• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linked in, starting to become a very useful job tool ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linked in, starting to become a very useful job tool ...

I joined it a couple of years ago, and thought nothing much of it.

But in the last year I've had a few job type enquiries through it and recently I changed my status to indicate I was interested in jobs in Singapore and this week I've two job interviews for roles out there. Directly through linked in.

Almost becoming a must have I think these days. And it's worth joining loads of groups, cause a fair few jobs seem to come through that avenue ...

My 2c.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

A chap I work with got his permie position through it. You have nothing to lose by being on it.

Comment

Well done. I have managed to attract lots of agents wanting to be linked to me because they want to fish my links for leads (my links are hidden anyway). I refuse all invitations from agents. Other than that, I have lots of requests for free advice from Bob's cousins. IMHO it's been a waste of my time to be honest.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

What's wrong with befriending agents, necessary evil - and they get you jobs!!

I don't really care if they get a contact or two out of some of my old jobs - no skin off my nose. I do mind when they call with a kid on job, trying to fish for information - that's disrespectful and a waste of my time. But by all means fish through my linkedin contacts - WHAS about that, really?

Anyway, point being that I've noticed this year that it's becoming a very viable alternate to jobsites, for candidates and companies. Both interviews btw are through direct contacts with companies, no agents involved ... (Death knell of the recruitment agent?)

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I simply do not want a network of agents on my LinkedIn profile I do not think it appropriate, simple really. It is a huge shame that the simple B2B intent of the LinkedIn network has been almost entirely taken over by agencies IMO. Others, as in your case, may disagree with me.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            I simply do not want a network of agents on my LinkedIn profile I do not think it appropriate, simple really. It is a huge shame that the simple B2B intent of the LinkedIn network has been almost entirely taken over by agencies IMO. Others, as in your case, may disagree with me.
            There are a lot of pimps on it, but i find them a necessary evill and choose to link to those that have proved useful to me in the past.

I also hide my contacts, so pimps can't go trawling.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Do you really care that much, if an agent sees your contacts, and maybe calls a few of them up?

The calls annoy me for sure, bit otherwise I don't get all this hostility. FFS they're just agents, not Russian spies looking to poison your family with a subtle but deadly radioactive substance ...

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                Do you really care that much, if an agent sees your contacts, and maybe calls a few of them up?

The calls annoy me for sure, bit otherwise I don't get all this hostility. FFS they're just agents, not Russian spies looking to poison your family with a subtle but deadly radioactive substance ...
                I know but what's more annoying is when the pimps start mailing me about contacts of contacts asking me to introduce them to people I didn't even know.

a slight annoyance.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  I know but what's more annoying is when the pimps start mailing me about contacts of contacts asking me to introduce them to people I didn't even know.

a slight annoyance.
                  Hasn't happened to me.

Also, if your contacts have hidden their phone details to all but contacts (the default IIRC), how are they going to get called by pimps?
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Hasn't happened to me.

Also, if your contacts have hidden their phone details to all but contacts (the default IIRC), how are they going to get called by pimps?
                    They didn't get called, I got bobarded by e-mails briefly asking to be introduced to contacts of contacts.

It stopped after a while but i generally hide contacts and stick to people who are useful to link to.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X