• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CD Rom Drive Issue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD Rom Drive Issue

Hello forum,

My Toshiba Satallite Pro laptop is unable to read any CD or DVD inserted into its CD Rom drive. Any ideas why and what i could do to resolve this problem.

Many thanks in advance.

Update and reinstall the driver? (via the interweb, obv...)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

When you insert a disc, does Windows recognise it?

If not, sounds like your drive may be buggered.

Comment

If it's one of the removable ones, take it out (fully) and reboot.

Stick it back in after rebooting - this will prompt windows to recognise it again (if it's not buggered).
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Ilu View Post
          Hello forum,

My Toshiba Satallite Pro laptop is unable to read any CD or DVD inserted into its CD Rom drive. Any ideas why and what i could do to resolve this problem.

Many thanks in advance.
          Try booting the system with a Live CD and see if that works... that way you can determine if the problem is OS based or Hardware based. If it is hardware based, time to get a new DVD writer / player for your laptop and disable it in the bios.... or get your laptop repaired.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Can the BIOS see it?

Comment

Have you tried a lens cleaner on it?
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilu View Post
                Any ideas why and what i could do to resolve this problem.
                Buy a decent laptop.

HTH.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Buy a Mac...

HTH
                  "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

NOTE not necessarily the drive, there is an XP fook-up which prevents access of CD drive. You need to search MS site for repair prog that corrects problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X