• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIY query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY query

Anyone ever flushed out their radiators?

Got a couple of cold spots, so was wondering if it's realtively simple process to DIY.

Or do I have to grit my teeth and get some numpty in who's going to charge me the best part of my daily rate to do it.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

I've seen it done. You need a special pump and the good part of half a day to do it.

If you can rent the special pump it's a fairly easy (but messy) job.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

Got a couple of cold spots, so was wondering if it's realtively simple process to DIY.

Or do I have to grit my teeth and get some numpty in who's going to charge me the best part of my daily rate to do it.
      You can just bleed the radiators, see if that fixes it.

I know you have to make sure your header tank is full before you start.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

http://www.hss.com/g/51610/Central-Heating-Flusher.html

Comment

Do you mean flushed (pain in the arse really) or bled (really quite simple)?

To bleed rad:
          Cold spots are generally due to air in the rad (they are at the top?). Get a rad key, and an old tea-towel. Open the valve at the the top of rad and let air gush out. Close valve when water comes out. Use tea towel to mop up water.

To flush system:
          Phone plumber.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

You've probably tried this, but just in case...

Have you tried bleeding the radiators in question?
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              You've probably tried this, but just in case...

Have you tried bleeding the radiators in question?
              yep, wouldn't have asked if I hadn't already checked.

bl**dy flushing isn't covered by the homecare 400
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Cold spots in my radiators are normally sorted out by bleeding them. I'm sure you know this & I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs but you just get a radiator key to open the bleed valve at one end of the radiator. This will let the trapped air escape & once water starts squirting out you close the valve & you should be sorted.

Comment

If it's cold at the top, bleed, cold at the bottom flush. Used to work for British Gas, and the ingineers (before power flushes) would use boiling kettles. You need to take the whole radiator off though ...

If it's more than one, I'd get a pro in ... money well spent!

Comment

I think I will have to bite the bullet, drained a system before and it's not worth the hassle.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X