• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector unions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public sector unions

Well, the NASUWT to be precise. Just been listening to an interview on local radio with a Ms. Christine Blower, the union's general secretary, and her reaction to the Tories' proposed freeze on public sector pay. Basically this would mean reneging on a 2.5% (I think) deal over 3 years & she was not very happy about it and wouldn't rule out industrial action if it came to pass because "we are a frontline service and the recession is the fault of greedy bankers not us" etc etc.

Well, I've been out of work for 4 months now and I don't seem to recall the recession being my doing either but I'm certainly bearing my brunt of the pain as are plenty of others, mainly in the private sector & to hear her bleating on like that really stuck in my craw. Rant over.

Sounds like you need to rally your peers, show some solidarity, and stick it to the greedy bosses...

Comment

My mate is a teacher and said they would walk out if they never got a rise, I told him he might have to take it as I have had a, now, 20% drop in income. He can't understand that.

The nation has to gear up for industrial action. My MP was Education secretary during the 80s so they picked on our schools and we had 2 days a week for over a year.

I might be thick now but I won't give into the unions.

Comment

In my opinion if many public sector orgs went on strike, the output would only be marginally lower than when they run full service.

Twits

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
          In my opinion if many public sector orgs went on strike, the output would only be marginally lower than when they run full service.

Twits
          Completely agree - they could halve the number of civil servants and output would go up!

Welcome to the real world lazy feckers!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bekarovka View Post
            Well, the NASUWT to be precise. Just been listening to an interview on local radio with a Ms. Christine Blower, the union's general secretary, and her reaction to the Tories' proposed freeze on public sector pay. Basically this would mean reneging on a 2.5% (I think) deal over 3 years & she was not very happy about it and wouldn't rule out industrial action if it came to pass because "we are a frontline service and the recession is the fault of greedy bankers not us" etc etc.

Well, I've been out of work for 4 months now and I don't seem to recall the recession being my doing either but I'm certainly bearing my brunt of the pain as are plenty of others, mainly in the private sector & to hear her bleating on like that really stuck in my craw. Rant over.
            The difference is that no-one agreed your pay rise over the next three years, which the government did with teachers, who are already underpaid for the work that they do and the crap that they have to deal with.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              My mate is a teacher and said they would walk out if they never got a rise, I told him he might have to take it as I have had a, now, 20% drop in income. He can't understand that.

The nation has to gear up for industrial action. My MP was Education secretary during the 80s so they picked on our schools and we had 2 days a week for over a year.

I might be thick now but I won't give into the unions.
              Teachers were always mostly winkers.

The faculty at my school should have been imprisoned, or at least sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Need a return of Thatcher ...

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post

Twits
                  You can be sure they'll make a strike high profile so that the public does notice.

I know from personal experience that public sector workers go absolutely bonkers if they have to take a pay cut, and totally don't understand the concept of not being paid on time.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                    Teachers were always mostly winkers.

The faculty at my school should have been imprisoned, or at least sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
                    Detest teachers, self righteous arses.

Nobody should be allowed to teach without some time in the private sector.

Comment

Working...
                    X