• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Friday afternoon advise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday afternoon advise

Need some thoughts from the hive collective 'cos I'm undecided on how to progress.

Basically I've been offered an interview next week for a gig in the big smoke. All my previous gigs have been through contacts so not had interviews, etc, etc, so dealing with agency tricks isn't something I've been exposed to.

The pimp in this case spoke to me this morning after trying to contact me yesterday. In 1 day he'd forgotten who I was, why I was ringing or that he had my CV.

Popped it over to him to refresh his memory, he said he'd be speaking to his mgr later in the day and would get back to me.

Next thing I know I've been offered an interview with the client, didn't know the client, only have a 2 line 'spec' which is vague to say the least, and it's a client I've already be represented by with a different pimp (although nothing come of that yet)

Given I'm in Rochdale I've asked for a telephone interview first - won't do it, they're keen and want face-2-face apparently. I've asked for a spec so I can review it over the weekend, get told I'll have the role explained at the interview.

I'm please at being offered an interview (esp after only applying for maybe 10-12 over the past 3 weeks) but it's a fair old trek and a bit expensive to be told about a vague role.

Watcha reckon?
    Gronda Gronda

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
    Need some thoughts from the hive collective 'cos I'm undecided on how to progress.

Basically I've been offered an interview next week for a gig in the big smoke. All my previous gigs have been through contacts so not had interviews, etc, etc, so dealing with agency tricks isn't something I've been exposed to.

The pimp in this case spoke to me this morning after trying to contact me yesterday. In 1 day he'd forgotten who I was, why I was ringing or that he had my CV.

Popped it over to him to refresh his memory, he said he'd be speaking to his mgr later in the day and would get back to me.

Next thing I know I've been offered an interview with the client, didn't know the client, only have a 2 line 'spec' which is vague to say the least, and it's a client I've already be represented by with a different pimp (although nothing come of that yet)

Given I'm in Rochdale I've asked for a telephone interview first - won't do it, they're keen and want face-2-face apparently. I've asked for a spec so I can review it over the weekend, get told I'll have the role explained at the interview.

I'm please at being offered an interview (esp after only applying for maybe 10-12 over the past 3 weeks) but it's a fair old trek and a bit expensive to be told about a vague role.

Watcha reckon?
    Sounds fishy to me. Any reasonable client would do the phone interview, given you are so far away. And no job spec?

They could be so rushed off their feet and disorganised you would be well advised to give it a miss. You say you have already been put forward by another pimp so did you get a job spec from them?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Hold out for the phone interview as it seems very vague. Alternatively, view it as a day out in London?
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Watcha reckon?
        Say you can't do it because you are whippet racing or something.

HAB goes away muttering something like, "Last thing we need in London is more chip their shoulder northern monkeys going on about price of beer and chip 'n' gravy."
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I'd politely decline, unless you can push the agency to cover your expenses for going to London for the day.

At this stage, flights will be pricey, and trains even more so.

I'd hold out for a phone interview - I've had two face-to-face interview in the past five years, and both of those were for government roles where they have to do them. The most recent was slightly frustrating, since they had contacted me directly, asked me to apply, and had to reopen the job advert, but that's government stuff for you.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Watcha reckon?
            I've had instances of turning up at interviews with no job spec, so its not uncommon, unprofessional but not uncommon.

Pain to schlep all the way down to London but you never know.

Make a day of it.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Friday afternoon advise

advice

FFS
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Think about this on the flip side. Your a company wanting a resource thats going to turn up on time and do the work. You don't give a flying ***k where they live or home arrangements. Thats not your problem, you pay top dollar (well it seems like it to a permie) for the right person to turn up to interview and turn up to work first day. End of. If he can't be arsed to come for and interview then sod him. There must be plenty of people between there and Rochdale that are willing to so lets see them instead.

You could get a telephone interview but your pitted up against the guys that turned up. It is human nature to favour a face to face candidate than a phone one that are of similar skill/personality etc.

By pushing for interview on your terms further sours the client.

You have two options, show some dedication to getting a role and go so your in the running. Push for telephone interview at which case you have virtually run yourself out of the race.

To be honest with you your on a hiding to no where with the latter.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post

advice

FFS
                  WHS

FFS

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                    WHS

FFS
                    I know I know, just spotted it myself DOH!
                    Gronda Gronda

Comment

Working...
                    X