• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Classic car pricing and restoration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic car pricing and restoration

Need to get a rough idea on price for an Aston Martin DB3 convertible, and also restoration costs.

Have had a google and nada of any use.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

DB III prices really depend on the state of the car. Expect to start at around £20,000 for a shell in need of a full restoration up to £100,000 for a concourse quality model. If it's got any pedigree i.e ex race or works car then expect to pay a premium on the basic price.

Restoration costs largely depend on the initial state of the car and the level you want to go to with it.

A full restoration from a wreck to a driveable car takes around 2,500 man hours. Labour costs vary but expect to pay £50-£60 an hour minimum. Then add parts on top of that. You wont get much change from £25,000.

If you want to restore to concours quality the sky is the limit.

The best people to ask are Aston themselves. They have a dedicated restoration service and can tell you a lot more about costs and car prices.
    Last edited by DaveB; 10 October 2009, 14:25.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      A full restoration from a wreck to a driveable car takes around 2,500 man hours. Labour costs vary but expect to pay £50-£60 an hour minimum. Then add parts on top of that. You wont get much change from £25,000.
      2,500 * 50 = 125,000
      2,500 * 60 = 150,000

Comment

I got one, with a spare engine, for £500, was a good few (20+) years ago though.
        Thought they only came as fully open, or a coupé. Didn't know there was a convertible. Possibly you mean a 'Mark III'
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          I got one, with a spare engine, for £500, was a good few (20+) years ago though.
          Thought they only came as fully open, or a coupé. Didn't know there was a convertible. Possibly you mean a 'Mark III'
          A DB3, it's a convertible, one of only 3 made.......
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Norrahe, I have it on good authority that when restoring the engine's radiator, you need to remember to bleed it.

Sorry, but that thread made me chuckle.

I'll do it myself...

Comment

62 weeks to do a restoration? can`t imagine it taking that long if someone worked on it for 40 hours a week

Comment

Working...
              X