• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

unique(?) music site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unique(?) music site

www.pandora.com

choose a song you like, then they find similar songs in their database. The system should get smarter as you tell it more of what you do or don't like. Looks like a nice idea and saves bringing an ipod to work.

So how many people can play music at work?
    I pump it out the speakers all the time
    7.14%
    People are OK if I use headphones
    35.71%
    I have my music on - the permies scowl at me but i don't care - I am a contractor and i rox
    14.29%
    Music is frowned upon but I get away with it a lot of the time
    0.00%
    No music allowed. This place is like a medieval dungeon!
    21.43%
    I'm 'between contracts' / working at home so do whatever I darn like
    21.43%

Option 7) Music is far too distracting to my job...I tend to lose focus on what I am doing and start listening to the music. Aha ! A diminished 7th chord which you don't hear that often...or....wtf...a dance track at 129bpm instead of 128bpm.

It's the same if I am in a music shop looking at sheet music..eg, on the Debbie Gibson song "Who Loves Ya Baby" (Electric Youth Album 1989) there is a c0ckup in the first ending of the first repeated section. There are 5 beats to the bar on the sheet, but in fact there should be a notation to indicate that the final 3 beats only take up 2 instead.

Of course, once you play it you soon realise, lol !

Now, if I could only silence the rest of the distractions in the office, that would be fantastic. My dream is working in a room with absolutely no noise whatsoever. Bliss !
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

"People are OK if I use headphones"

Should be two choices:

"People are OK if I use headphones"

"People are OK if I use headphones, BUT ON CONDITION I DON'T SING ALONG."
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Wow luke! that's the best website!

Comment

thunderlizard, I must question your logic in such an assumption. It appears to be no more than a somewhat primitive and simply organised fascimile of launch.com.

I would recommend that you investigate this alternative option at the first opportunity.

The video recordings I have analysed are indeed fascinating.

Comment

Working...
          X