• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The TA - shout "bang" to save money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The TA - shout "bang" to save money

So much for no cuts for those providing front line services:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8300530.stm
    Since Labour came to power the TA has fallen from more than 57,000 to a trained strength of about 19,000.
    I'm intrigued as to why this might be, with two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan you'd think the TA would have expanded, or is it the thought of having to actually fight in Iraq and Afghanistan that has caused people to leave/not join the TA?
    In the old days the TA would usually only be deployed if the Warsaw Pact forces were on the verge of invading West Germany.

£20 mln saved - less than 0.0001 of the Great Bank Bailout...

Comment

"About 35,000 men and women currently serve in the TA"

"The TA provides around 1,200 troops each year in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Balkans"

Waste of money if you ask me

Comment

TA are the reserves for unexpected things like Iraq war - plenty of them were deployed there.

If you don't train them, then what's the point? If anything training should be more intensive since the Army has not got enough infantry.

Comment

Would you guys like to contribute more in taxes?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            TA are the reserves for unexpected things like Iraq war - plenty of them were deployed there.

If you don't train them, then what's the point? If anything training should be more intensive since the Army has not got enough infantry.

yeah plenty of them were used in the Iraq farce

Comment

Dad's Army in the 21st century...met several people who've been in the TA...none of whom have quite grown up...generalisation im sure...but true in a number of cases nonetheless

Comment

Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
                Dad's Army in the 21st century...met several people who've been in the TA...none of whom have quite grown up...generalisation im sure...but true in a number of cases nonetheless
                My brother in law is in the TA and he's a complete fruit-loop. Really, really likes guns and shouting. Alarm bells are ringing!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Won't they be short on medics and similar now?

Short sighted reaction if all we're talking about is 20 million; there's a sporting event that could donate a little I'm sure.

/Part way through the application process-I'll not hold my breath!
                  B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
                    Won't they be short on medics and similar now?

Short sighted reaction if all we're talking about is 20 million; there's a sporting event that could donate a little I'm sure.

/Part way through the application process-I'll not hold my breath!
                    They were offering doctors 50 grand for signing up last year and I think the salary was over 100 grand.

Comment

Working...
                    X