• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Return Payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Return Payment

Can I ask you guys for some advice.

What are the possibilities if one cannot pay a tax assessment(due to unforseen circumstances).

Im awaiting a tax assessment 2007/08 in Belgium, which should be due pretty soon but due to complications e.g. not being registered in the country (local commune) its taking a long time.

What advice would you give, I guess I need to file the return in anyhow for starters to avoid a late return???

By the way Im from th UK.

talk to then Revenue and see what they say - you won't be the first or last person to have problems.

Comment

whatever you excuse you will get a fine for late payment.

its best to keep them informed though.

Comment

Hi there chaps

I have been in touch with my Belgian accountant and he says:

First you need to have an assessment which mentions the amount due

Which is in the process of being done.

If you cannot pay within two months, then you can, ask for a payment plan, normally over 1 year not above, intrest will be charged at +/- 7%.

If you do not pay then the Belgian tax can ask the UK authorities to help collect the debt.

The best thing is indeed to lodge a return as a resident and then wait till they have solved amongst themselves wether you are a resident or non resident.

I have been calling the relevant Tax inspector handling the case since the summer.

My situation

I own no assets in the UK, have no savings or no income, e.g. Job since Decemeber 2008.

So a payment plan for one year is currently out of the question.

Comment

Working...
        X