• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying the double agency wammy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying the double agency wammy

Often on many large-scale projects (probably more than what one Agency can handle) the prime contractor agency sub-contracts to other agencies.

From the Contractors perspective, that means they have to feed two pimps rather than just one.

Does anyone know the relationship between Iffner solutions and Alexander Mann? - I assume Alexander Mann has a sole relationship with Cap Gemini?

Also does Abraxas use sub-contract agencies? - I assume Abraxas has a sole relationship with BT (NHS), though other contract agencies are mentioned?
    Last edited by ancient; 18 November 2005, 20:40.

What does it matter if you're happy with your rate?

Comment

Quite a bit if the rate is reduced by a few hundred to pay an extra pimp. Paying for one Agent parasite is quite enough to have to put up with.

Then the Brollie and/or the Accountant.

I do not want to spend 2/3 hours of my working day to feed people who add little or zero value.
      Last edited by ancient; 18 November 2005, 21:24.

Comment

Originally posted by ancient
        Quite a bit if the rate is reduced by a few hundred to pay an extra pimp. Paying for one Agent parasite is quite enough to have to put up with.

Then the Brollie and/or the Accountant.

I do not want to spend 2/3 hours of my working day to feed people who add little or zero value.
        First of allthe money paid to the agencies is notyour money. The client wants Alex Mann to manage its relationship with contractors. Because Alex mann is not the be all and end all supplier of contractors it goes to agencies. OK this means that there are two agencies getting a margin, but you are likely to find that the two of them added together do not amount to more than an aggregate margin of say 15%.

I really do not understand what your problem is here. As long as you are getting your market rate then that is all that is important. If you have a problem with the principle then it is you who are presuming to judge the procurement practices of the client. This is no business of yours at all.

as sure as night follows day , if the client deems that there is too nuch money being dished out to agencies, any reductions will go to the clients NOT added on to the contractor rates.

This is Janet and John business. If you dont like it then p*** off back to being a permie.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Alexander Mann do this with a lot of companies, They get the status of ONLY supplier and then they can't resource the jobs. The rate to the contractor is diluted which means the end client is not getting value for money. Unfornately the end client don't really see this as Alexander Mann don't advertise the fact that they were unable to resource a position.

Contract market was so much better for all parties before on this legalisation and regulation. It's really starting to get on my tits.

I wish the government would focus more on all these cheating cash in hand tradesmen and taxi drivers rather the professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
            I really do not understand what your problem is here. As long as you are getting your market rate then that is all that is important. If you have a problem with the principle then it is you who are presuming to judge the procurement practices of the client. This is no business of yours at all.

This is Janet and John business. If you dont like it then p*** off back to being a permie.
            Dodgy, you make me laugh.

26 years ago I was working on a contract in Holland for Hfl36.60 per hour, they were paying another contractor Hfl 37.50 an hour, the Client told me they were paying the same rate for both of us (but did not tell me the rate).

I went to the agent and said I wanted the same, the Agent said no way.

I told the Client I was walking, they said no way, and they would pay me direct the same as the Agent a wopping Hfl 102.50 per hour.

The Client kept me on for another six years, until I decided I wanted to do something else.

Especially these days if I am working on an IR35 caught contract I want to know EVERYTHING about margin and who is getting what.

Market rates are crap, and I personally would not work for a "market rate".

You may not like it, but the Contractor population are slowly getting wise to Dodgy Agent practices.

Keep feeding off and exploiting the young and naive.

I will refrain from using some more appropriate words.
            Last edited by ancient; 18 November 2005, 22:54.

Comment

Dodgy, you make me laugh.

26 years ago I was working on a contract in Holland for Hfl36.60 per hour, they were paying another contractor Hfl 37.50 an hour, the Client told me they were paying the same rate for both of us (but did not tell me the rate).

I went to the agent and said I wanted the same, the Agent said no way.

I told the Client I was walking, they said no way, and they would pay me direct the same as the Agent a wopping Hfl 102.50 per hour.

The Client kept me on for another six years, until I decided I wanted to do something else.

Especially these days if I am working on an IR35 caught contract I want to know EVERYTHING about margin and who is getting what.

Market rates are crap, and I personally would not work for a "market rate".

You may not like it, but the Contractor population are slowly getting wise to Dodgy Agent practices.

Keep feeding off and exploiting the young and naive.

I will refrain from using some more appropriate words.
              But how do you get them to truthfully tell you what the margin is ??? even if you tape the agent on the telephone its not going to help you if he lied to you.

To get it in writing (the margin) via e-mail is going to be like mission impossible. Am I right ? how do you do it ?

Comment

I guess the only way is to find-out through the Client.

Contracting sometimes reminds me of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - the Agent is the Wolf in Sheeps Clothing.

Comment

I guess the only way is to find-out through the Client.

Contracting sometimes reminds me of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - the Agent is the Wolf in Sheeps Clothing.
                  When the feck did Snow White have a wolf? Never mind one in sheeps clothing!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod
                    When the feck did Snow White have a wolf? Never mind one in sheeps clothing!
                    He never read childrens books - Just computer manuals
                    Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Working...
                    X