• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FLAT VAT first year deduction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FLAT VAT first year deduction

Friends
    I have started contracting recent read in the link below that there is 1% reduction in flat vat rate in the first year

does this mean that if my flat vat rate for IT is 11.5%, I only have to pay 10.5% in the first year?

Thanks
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 May 2021, 22:10.

No it will actually be 10.25% for 9 months
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks

Hi
      thanks for your response but can you please be more clear on this why is it 10.25% for 9 months?
      Please let me know if I can refer to this on hmrc site

thanks

Comment

Let me search that for you.

http://search.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/in...at+rate+scheme
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by beoptima View Post
          does this mean that if my flat vat rate for IT is 11.5%, I only have to pay 10.5% in the first year?
          Yes that's right. You have stumbled on a rare bit of UK tax law that is very new and hence still straightforward. (well, it eventually gets complicated when you inevitably hit the end of the discount year in the middle of a VAT quarter and have to pro-rata the 1%, but cross that bridge when you get to it).

Comment

Originally posted by beoptima View Post
            Hi
            thanks for your response but can you please be more clear on this why is it 10.25% for 9 months?
            Please let me know if I can refer to this on hmrc site

thanks
            /Faceroll
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X