• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Aud/gbp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aud/gbp

I've got some aussie that I want to put into pounds, to realise a gain on the exchange rate movement since I bought aussie.

When I am holding pounds I am thinking of buying a London BTL and holding that for a few years until the pound comes back and I can ditch the flat and buy aussie again.

Is there a better plan for investing the pounds that can beat the inflation from quant easing and give me a decent return while I wait for the pound to bounce back?

The pound is going to bounce back? That would assume we're not forked and Brown is a genius no?

Comment

Pound will bounce back eventually won't it??

If the tories get in, and once the city gets back on its feet.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
        I've got some aussie that I want to put into pounds, to realise a gain on the exchange rate movement since I bought aussie.

When I am holding pounds I am thinking of buying a London BTL and holding that for a few years until the pound comes back and I can ditch the flat and buy aussie again.

Is there a better plan for investing the pounds that can beat the inflation from quant easing and give me a decent return while I wait for the pound to bounce back?
        R U Fraking
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          R U Fraking
          Please explain the flaws in my plan?

Comment

Australia will reap the benefits of it`s rational immigration policy while this country disintegrates under a flood of illiterate African refugees.

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
              Australia will reap the benefits of it`s rational immigration policy while this country disintegrates under a flood of illiterate African refugees.
              Ironic
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

1. Appreciation of GBP against AUD, or rather the more likely opposite.
                2. Capital gain in property in UK, or the lack of it.
                3. Hector wanting his cut.

AUD is a commodity currency that has the prospect of doing very well in any economic recovery which many think would have that region at it's core. If I was holding AUD in any size I'd be looking to invest it there.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  1. Appreciation of GBP against AUD, or rather the more likely opposite.
                  2. Capital gain in property in UK, or the lack of it.
                  3. Hector wanting his cut.

AUD is a commodity currency that has the prospect of doing very well in any economic recovery which many think would have that region at it's core. If I was holding AUD in any size I'd be looking to invest it there.
                  Maybe I should steer clear of property in the UK and just do a term depo?

It's hard to make money here in Oz. Property is overpriced and not doing much. Tax is high.

The currency has moved so far, it's very tempting to jump in. Especially as that is tax free profit. I think the exchange rate will eventually come back as the UK interest rates will go up when inflation kicks in, and that will draw investers in and drive up the currency.

If this didn't happen I could just unwind my trade and admit defeat in a couple of years. The loss would be somewhat offset by the gain on the term depo.

Seriously seeking input here - never done anything like this before ...

Comment

Please explain the part that isnt flawed

I wouldnt want to be short aussie anytime soon, especially as it follows gold.
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                    X