• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Next Big Thing !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Next Big Thing !

Stitch 'n Bitch

We've had Tupperware parties, Anne Summer's parties, and Clothes Swap parties....now comes the newest thing on the block..Stitch 'n Bitch.

Several of my friends girlfriends, all in their mid 20's, are going crazy over this novel idea, and are buying wool by the lamb, and enough knitting needles to gore a herd of Spanish Bullocks, and a few cases of cheap plonk, and going..well, crazy.

Apparently, not a lot of knitting gets done, but they all manage to have a good time chatting about the X-Factor and Strictly Come Dancing, whilst getting merrily sloshed.

Gavin, a friend of mine, who is an IT Consultant, is a Knitting Widow. He told me the following.

"I was really worried to start with. She used to come home smelling of cheap wine and covered in cuts and slashes. I suspected that she had started going to a Self-Harm group, and had fallen in with the wrong crowd.

I confronted her one day when I found a number of patterns laying around the house. One was of a Crocodile Draft Excluder, the other was of a Doctor Who Scarf.

I was livid. We have double glazing for starters. Also, the stupid cow had got the colours wrong on the scarf and turned it in to an Arsenal supporter's scarf. I burnt it in the backyard at night so the neighbours couldn't see. I follow Millwall and having that scarf in the house would be like inviting Adolf Hitler to a Barmitzvah.

Still, she's concerned that if she doesn't attend the meetings, she will be classified as persona non grata by her mates. Apparently the organiser of the meetings has a list of things which are supposedly the next great things to do as the year progresses, and that after the knitting classes, they will be moving on to Yogahurt (Yoga smeared in milk product that is just about to turn), Bag-a-Bag (Designer Bags at Designer Prices...gulp), and DressImpress (more designer clothes...double gulp).

Still, it gets her out of the house and lets me play COD4."
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Apologies if I offend any members on here but I'd rather go to a battery-less Ann Summers party than one of those things (admittedly not by much)
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Sounds fun, if you like chattering about celebrities and drinking. Not my scene, but knitting is cool in a nerdy kind of way.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Next big thing?

Welcome to 2004!
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4028619.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3570579.stm

And KnitChicks has been around since at least 2003
        Last edited by Spacecadet; 12 October 2009, 23:31.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
          ...buying wool by the lamb, and enough knitting needles to gore a herd of Spanish Bullocks, and a few cases of cheap plonk...
          Cool. Plenty of lamb and beef, and cheap red wine. To the kitchen with them

Comment

Working...
          X