• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MP's make me cross

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP's make me cross

First they introduce a load of retrospective tax legislation, then bitch and whine when some retrospective expenses rules are introduced. Hypocrites...
    ǝןqqıʍ

Politicians are a law to themselves. The expenses thing is small potatoes though. I'd prefer it if more investigative effort were put into how they rake their millions in once they leave office.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      First they introduce a load of retrospective tax legislation, then bitch and whine when some retrospective expenses rules are introduced. Hypocrites...
      It's just not fair.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
        That element of this is hilarious! Welcome to the world you created, cretins.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Politicians are a law to themselves. The expenses thing is small potatoes though. I'd prefer it if more investigative effort were put into how they rake their millions in once they leave office.
          I'd like it if they'd investigate how they rake their millions whilst in office.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Taking advantage of the rules to deliberately cream money is wrong for someone in a position of authority (though most people here would do it and boast about it). Retrospective penalties are stupid and wrong. Trying to solve wrong with wrong is wrong and also stupid, it's just a piece of spin which party can bully its members the most and get public applause.

That rather long BNP666 thread is on here somewhere about retrospective charges.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

One of the hypocrites in question just got knifed on Newsnight. Busy bleating about how it had been applied retrospectively, until it was pointed out to him by the reporter that he had signed Early Day Motions supporting retrospective taxes.

Priceless. Catch it on iPlayer.

Comment

Now that is a good one. I don't agree with the view that most/all MPs are out for all they can get, but clearly some are real pieces of work. Problem is, the guys who claim a few £100 get slagged as much as the ones who set out to exploit the system to the utmost to the tune of £tens of thousands,
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Fancy a nice walk in Central London in early November?
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Agree with d000hg that retrospective changes are wholly wrong, even if applied to MPs. What was claimed according to the then rules is not the issue, water under the bridge.

what really sucks is that they make tax laws that apply only to themselves in the first place and that is what need to be stopped. If you have ever looked though the various finance acts you will find there are clauses with specific exemptions and modifications for members of parliament. Why? What is special to their job that would not apply equally to, say, the MD of a company with factories in two parts of the country?
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X