• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two-year rule!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two-year rule!

Guys,

I'd appreciate any light or feedback on this.

I’m currently contracting for an IT client and I’m making use of an umbrella organisation for expenses and subsistence. As I’m working away from home and rent accomodation close to where I work for this contract, my expenses claims are approximately half of my salary – paid weekly.

Come February 2010, I'll have been at this location for two years. Can I confirm where I am eligible to claim any expenses after this 2 year period, assuming I change over from an umbrella company to a a manged company? I suspect that I cannot claim travel, but can I still claim subsistence and accomodation costs?

Thanks!

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You know this board has a search facility.

I often wonder why people don't use it to find out such simple information.................

Maybe they are thick....................

Maybe they are just lazy.................
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Let's make it easy for you. Read this...
        Maloty

Although from what you've said so far, you can't claim expenses anyway...

HTH
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by slackware View Post
          Guys,

I'd appreciate any light or feedback on this.

I’m currently contracting for an IT client and I’m making use of an umbrella organisation for expenses and subsistence. As I’m working away from home and rent accomodation close to where I work for this contract, my expenses claims are approximately half of my salary – paid weekly.

Come February 2010, I'll have been at this location for two years. Can I confirm where I am eligible to claim any expenses after this 2 year period, assuming I change over from an umbrella company to a a manged company? I suspect that I cannot claim travel, but can I still claim subsistence and accomodation costs?

Thanks!
          Read Bob Jones' section on Contractor Alliance - it's all about YOU and the LOCATION. Not how you bill, not who the client is, not which agency you use (or any other variation) - if YOU are in the same LOCATION then you can't claim.

You must stop claiming at the point at which you reasonably expect to be there for more than two years. Since you are predicting that you will be there in February, for you to continue claiming expenses from NOW would be tax fraud.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

This board does indeed have a seach facility and I have attempted to use it.

This board also happens to have countless threads, where people like you make contributions which are wholly devoid of any purpose except to berate and humiliate. Well done, your employers must be so proud of you!

Comment

I've always been curious as to what is stipulated by "location", if by this it means clientco then fine, if it means the actual geographical location then hmmm.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                I've always been curious as to what is stipulated by "location", if by this it means clientco then fine, if it means the actual geographical location then hmmm.
                It's geographical location - including, for example, "The City".

To be precise, it's down to whether the journey is essentially the same or not. I left my last contract because I didn't feel that I could successfully argue that my journey to Westminster tube station (18 months) put me in a different location to my journey to Pimlico (6 months) - given that the journey is a 50 minute drive to the airport, flight to LHR, train to Paddington, then tube.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

A tad worrying, given that in the last 5 years, "the city" is where I've been stuck and that's where all my jobs are ever going to be (despite trying to get out).

Also my location can vary in the smoke from one clientco on one side of the road, to another on the other side to one slightly down the road and the other around the corner.

The lloyd's market isn't the most varied of geographical locations
                  Last edited by norrahe; 13 October 2009, 13:40.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    A tad worrying, given that in the last 5 years, "the city" is where I've been stuck and that's where all my jobs are ever going to be (despite trying to get out).

Also my location can vary in the smoke from one clientco on one side of the road, to another on the other side to one slightly down the road and the other around the corner.

The lloyd's market isn't the most varied of geographical locations
                    Then you're stuffed. See my earlier reccomendation on something to read: that tries to explain the inexplicable.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X