• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Big companies big opportunities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big companies big opportunities

afternoon all,

doing .net at blue chip household name companies I've seen a lot of internal procedures in large companies for things like, getting Users, getting port openings, getting disk space, getting load balancer configs etc etc

and it always amazes me that the procedures and processes in these big companies are more strict than trying to get like planning permission for a house

consequently, i am always amazed at the man hours wasted on following these draconian internal procedures in large organisations and the cost it must present to the bottom line

which strikes me that there must be an opportunity for some bright spark to go and speak to big companies at board level and explain that their internal procedures, their little empires are costing zillions in lost man hours and that they should employ business consultants to come in and rationalise all internal procedures

massive opportunity for somebody

Milan.

hmmm really, most of these processes have been put in place to demonstrate complaince in some form or other or to "reduce risk" in some way.

Agreed they add little value or do not always work - hence the banking crisis, but going to the board with a message like that without saying how compliance rules and risk monitoring and management needs careful thinking about!

Having said that I'm glad I'm not working in a big co right now, however the chaos around me when I got here showed that some order needs to be put into place, all done with a softly softly approach so far.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      afternoon all,

doing .net at blue chip household name companies I've seen a lot of internal procedures in large companies for things like, getting Users, getting port openings, getting disk space, getting load balancer configs etc etc

and it always amazes me that the procedures and processes in these big companies are more strict than trying to get like planning permission for a house

consequently, i am always amazed at the man hours wasted on following these draconian internal procedures in large organisations and the cost it must present to the bottom line

which strikes me that there must be an opportunity for some bright spark to go and speak to big companies at board level and explain that their internal procedures, their little empires are costing zillions in lost man hours and that they should employ business consultants to come in and rationalise all internal procedures

massive opportunity for somebody

Milan.
      Yeah just let anyone change anything... The rules are there for a reason, security being one.

Comment

i guess you lot have not worked in larger companies

agreed rules for a reason, but having been there and seen it,

there are a lot of procedures that could be rationalised

but then again, contractor.... who cares eh

who cares how long it all takes, longer the better, delays == good for contractors

so the conclusion is gentlemen, shutup and get on with fixing .net :-)

Milan.

Comment

who cares how long it all takes, longer the better, delays == good for contractors

so the conclusion is gentlemen, shutup and get on with fixing .net :-)

Milan.
          changing the tapes

Comment

they should employ business consultants to come in and rationalise all internal procedures
            That's how they got there in the first place.

Comment

I guess it's all Mckinsey's fault.

Milan.

Comment

Milan, I've worked for big companies and understnad your comment. But I currently work for a company which has grown v. quickly and now has a turnover around £75M. The lack of prcocesses scares the crap out of me somethimes. Its production lines are wasteful and inventory levels too high. Not only is it dysfunctional with no clear picture of its cash flow, but I'm sure some unscrupulous person could siphon off money without too much difficulty. I half expect to discover such malfeasance any day now.
                I'm sure there's a happy medium but robust processes are exactly what I urgently need right now.
                That nand anothor glass of that red I had at lunchtinme.

I'll try and get back to work now.

Comment

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
                  I'm sure some unscrupulous person could siphon off money without too much difficulty.
                  Big company, big opportunities

Comment

so the conclusion is gentlemen, shutup and get on with fixing
                    .net :-)

Milan.
                    You've just described the EDS global business plan.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X