• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Serious question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious question

I had this discussion with the missus.

During the discussion I said 'well thats the exception that proves the rule'

so we had another discussion about what that saying actually means.

1.All US comedy is rubbish but the simpsons is the exeption that proves the rule (ie all US comedy is rubbish)

2.All US comedy is rubbish but the simpsons is the exeption that proves the rule (ie There is a new rule = NOT all US comedy is rubbish)

what do you think the saying means?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

1.All US comedy is rubbish but the simpsons is the exeption that proves the rule (ie all US comedy is rubbish)

2.All US comedy is rubbish but the simpsons is the exeption that proves the rule (ie There is a new rule = NOT all US comedy is rubbish)

Exceptions cant prove a rule the saying is usally exception to the rule. Like "All memebers of boyzone are alive but Stephen Gatley is the exception to the rule".

Comment

I've heard "exception that proves the rule" many times. It is simply an ironic retort.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        I've heard "exception that proves the rule" many times. It is simply an ironic retort.

Ive never heard of it. I must be the the exception that proves the rule then.

Comment

I know this one!

It should really be "the exception that proves that there is a rule"

e.g. if you find a note stuck to the fridge that says "I'm not going to church this Sunday. Yours, Bob" you can infer that Bob, as a rule, goes to church on Sundays.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

"Prove" used to have the meaning of something akin to "test out, put on trial" which has been lost over the years. With this old meaning the phrase makes more sense, HTH
            If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Serious question

Now readers. Can you see where he went wrong?
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I asked the internet.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/e...-the-rule.html

The internet blames, lawyers and Latin.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  Now readers. Can you see where he went wrong?
                  He should have got divorced?

Comment

Good work TL. That sounds more than just feasible.

Comment

Working...
                    X