PDA

View Full Version : Wi-fi 'to get a whole lot easier'

Board Game Geek
15th October 2009, 05:53
By Maggie Shiels
BBC technology reporter, Silicon Valley

The world of wi-fi is to become a whole lot easier thanks to a major technology upgrade, says an industry group.

The Wi-Fi Alliance said it would soon finish work on a new specification called Wi-Fi Direct.

It will let wi-fi devices like phones and laptops connect to one another without joining a traditional network.

The Wi-Fi Alliance - whose members include Intel, Apple and Cisco - hopes devices with the new technology will be on the market by the middle of 2010.

Owners of devices without Wi-Fi Direct will be able to upgrade through a software download, says the technology consortium.

The Wi-Fi Alliance's marketing director, Kelly Davis-Felner, told BBC News: "This is going to be a quick and convenient way to use wi-fi in future to print, synch, share and display.

"The consumer is going to experience this as a very easy-to-use mechanism that will be quite seamless."

Threat to Bluetooth?

Wi-Fi Direct will automatically scan for local existing hotspots and any wi-fi-enabled devices, such as cameras, phones and computers.

The Alliance says the specification will search for both consumer electronics and office applications, enabling devices to connect from across a home or workplace.

Victoria Foote, senior analyst at In-Stat, said it was a "terrific innovation".

Ben Parr, co-editor of Mashable.com, told BBC News the potential impact could be far-reaching.

But industry watchers also say the technology could pose a threat to the future of Bluetooth and perhaps do away with the need to use wi-fi routers in some places.

Link Credited to BBC Article Here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8307977.stm)

That's going to be interesting, with regards to the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1974, as I seem to recall that it was a prosecutable offence to connect to a private network without the owner's explicit permission.

Or would it be a case that since the technology automatically connects now to whatever it can find, that this would be a suitable defence ?

(Sorry M'lud, but it's not my fault my I-Poo connected to the Atomic Weapons System and let me play this funky new game called "Wargames")

Ok, so a bit fanciful there, since we all know that Government Security Systems are fully locked down and protected by the best security products at plenty cheapness.

BrilloPad
15th October 2009, 07:38
I bet I still get issues with my router at home........

Board Game Geek
15th October 2009, 14:20
I bet I still get issues with my router at home........

Indeed. There'll still be a few folks who traditionally cannot get their heads around WiFi or RTFM.

/In cheeky pup mode

TimberWolf
15th October 2009, 14:53
Don't forget to turn off all your wi-fi devices if you are being targeted by a swat team (http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/10/see-through-walls/), unless you have anti-wi-fi paint (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8279549.stm). Wow, two wiphens in a row - is that allowed?