• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors, Liars and Fake CV's

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractors, Liars and Fake CV's

Hello,
    I'm Menelaus' ex-wife, and wanted to post a genuine question to the people of these boards. I've watched him now and then over the last two years, as he procured job after job often with stretched or even on occasion a faked CV - which I would add is a criminal offence - and even seen him dismissed from jobs because of tip-offs suggesting the company look more closely into his CV. Well, either that or being arrested at work, which probably doesn't help.

It seems to me that for contractors there is no effort to check the veracity of a CV or to verify qualifications, and the merit of the person is assessed upon employment. I can understand (for short term work particularly) why this makes sense. However it is also apparent that when Craig has left his job under dim circumstances, he has found it relatively easy to seek new employment, this time with another firm's title to add to his list of places he's worked. Are the firms too embarrassed to admit they hired a fraudulent character? They have the recourse of the law at their hands but is it easier to just fling him back in the contracting pool for some other poor schmuck to deal with? Is it the job of the contracting umbrella companies to check these things out before recommending someone on their books?

Are CV's ever checked, as it seems entirely possibly to blag one's way through a short term job with the kind help of colleagues and some books from Amazon

genuine answer to a genuine question.

Contractors are a bit like husbands.

If you find yourself with a bad un - they are easy to get rid of.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Which "Ex-Wife" are you then?

Btw, the only responsibility of an umbrella company is to ensure that invoices are issued and the relevant people paid the relevant(hopefully correct) amounts.

Comment

This one wasn't. And surely he gives contractors in his industry a bad name?!

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          Hello,
          I'm Menelaus' ex-wife, and wanted to post a genuine question to the people of these boards. I've watched him now and then over the last two years, as he procured job after job often with stretched or even on occasion a faked CV - which I would add is a criminal offence - and even seen him dismissed from jobs because of tip-offs suggesting the company look more closely into his CV. Well, either that or being arrested at work, which probably doesn't help.

It seems to me that for contractors there is no effort to check the veracity of a CV or to verify qualifications, and the merit of the person is assessed upon employment. I can understand (for short term work particularly) why this makes sense. However it is also apparent that when Craig has left his job under dim circumstances, he has found it relatively easy to seek new employment, this time with another firm's title to add to his list of places he's worked. Are the firms too embarrassed to admit they hired a fraudulent character? They have the recourse of the law at their hands but is it easier to just fling him back in the contracting pool for some other poor schmuck to deal with? Is it the job of the contracting umbrella companies to check these things out before recommending someone on their books?

Are CV's ever checked, as it seems entirely possibly to blag one's way through a short term job with the kind help of colleagues and some books from Amazon
          If you can do the job no one cares, if you cant you get fired. CV is just a way of filtering candidated.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
            It would be funny if it really his is ex...
            my first thought was to ask her how much checking SHE had done on him.

getting a hubby is a bit more important than hiring a snot-nosed code monkey

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

So after all the lies, deceit and bigamy, Helen's main concern in life is him having a dodgy CV?

0/10

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Which "Ex-Wife" are you then?
                His latest. Although I bloody hate the term. I left him 2 days after the honeymoon. I'm afraid as I have only just registered there is a delay on my posts.

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Btw, the only responsibility of an umbrella company is to ensure that invoices are issued and the relevant people paid the relevant(hopefully correct) amounts.
                Well that's all right then.

Having known him for the time that I did, I would not be surprised that he could convince someone in the profession he has befriended that any irregularity in his departure is purely a mis-understanding and he has been rather hard done by by everyone, and would they kindly write him a reference.

Unfortunately the sums one can earn contracting in the finance industry mean he can pretend to be who ever he wants in his private life.

Comment

We don't have CVs we have advertising brochures hilighting the benefits of the consultants we have available to work on our client companies projects. How many times are clueless fresh grads supplied by the big consultancies as suitable for the clients needs? Contractors are not temporary employees. If a company isn't happy with a company supplying inferior services it needs to look elsewhere, none of this is illegal.

Comment

Incidentally, Helen's number of posts shows as 0. Shouldn't it be 1?
                    This is a very strange thread indeed...
                    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                    X