• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear

An amnesty international poll has reported that 20% of 1000 people polled agree that women are partially responsible if they are raped when

They dress provocatively
    Get drunk
    Behave flirtateously

The comments here make interesting reading.

What do you lot think. Personally I cannot think of a situation when a woman would be 'asking for it'

I can not see it at all, how can a woman who says no be "asking for it".

There is no excuse for rape.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

As I get older....

I start to fall into the 'Castrate them' category.
      I've got a young daughter, and anyone touched her and then said 'she was asking for it', I would kill them.

Comment

I've heard some strange reactions to this story. Consider these two FACTS:

1. Women dress and behave in a sexually provocative way in public in order to attract the interest of men.

2. Not every man they attract is going to be a model citizen and gentleman.

The more a woman understands the risk, the better prepared she will be in the real world.

It's like walking down dark alleys at night - it is safer to use well-lit streets instead.

Comment

hmmm,

the bigger pictures, are the statistics talking purely about rapes down a dark dark alley or are we talking about these cases where the lady in question may change her mind after the event and reconsider the legitimacy of the event

I am 100% with the above on the first case, however for me the jury is out on the second

Milan.

Comment

@rse

Originally posted by wendigo100
            I've heard some strange reactions to this story. Consider these two FACTS:

1. Women dress and behave in a sexually provocative way in public in order to attract the interest of men.

2. Not every man they attract is going to be a model citizen and gentleman.

The more a woman understands the risk, the better prepared she will be in the real world.

It's like walking down dark alleys at night - it is safer to use well-lit streets instead.
            Hole

Comment

A bit extreme

Originally posted by Moose
              Hole
              Facts are facts.
              As rapists, muggers, robbers, thieves and their ilk seem to be allowed free to roam the streets without undue attention from the thought-police, taking sensible precautions seems justified.
              There is no justification/mitigation for rape, but falling down drunk in the street is not likely to lead to people respecting your rights.
              Why not?

Comment

If I bought a "state of the art" flat screen TV with the best surround sound system etc etc....Would that mean I was provoking Burglary??

I think not!

Comment

You can live in fantasy land if you like

where everyone is nice, there are no criminals on the streets, people are happy to help each other and no-one would ever take advantage of anyone else. Sadly most of us have to live in the real world, and there are lots of animals out there.
                  Why not?

Comment

Falling down drunk

But using the 'honest guv...I thought she wanted it' defence is completely wrong.

What if your out with the wife, who is looking particulary foxy, and while she's at the bog some drunk feels her up?

Or...your daughter has just turned 15, and while at a friends house having a sleep over drinks too much cider and passes out on the couch only to wake up to find some @rsehole with his fingers in her pants.

No means no...and if you can't say no because your drunk, then presume no.

Comment

Working...
                    X